Thread: AMP Connector Pin Extraction Tool Rental....

Default AMP Connector Pin Extraction Tool Rental....

Does anyone have a pin extraction tool for this connector that they could loan me for a week?
    http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...&name=A1306-ND

I'd pay for shipping both ways.
    Thanks!
    Adam

Adam,

I used to have a few and will look in my old tool bags.

I have in a pinch cut a strip of aluminum from a Beer can (or soft drink can) about 2 inches by the circumference (approximate) of the pin/sleeve and rolled it around a pocket screw driver to form a tube with the open side. In some cases this worked better than the AMP tool as it was more of complete tube and you didn't have to rotate it in the barrel trying to find the captive tab I'm sure it goes without saying watch the sharp edges on the wire and your hands.

Jim

Will this work for what you need? It's been in my tool box about 8 years and I've never used it. If it will work for what you need, you're welcome to have it if you just pay shipping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC09424.JPG  

I think radio shack sells a pair of them $4

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107590398
    Excited Photons Burned my Signature

Quote Originally Posted by -=Jim=- View Post
    Adam,

I used to have a few and will look in my old tool bags.

I have in a pinch cut a strip of aluminum from a Beer can (or soft drink can) about 2 inches by the circumference (approximate) of the pin/sleeve and rolled it around a pocket screw driver to form a tube with the open side. In some cases this worked better than the AMP tool as it was more of complete tube and you didn't have to rotate it in the barrel trying to find the captive tab I'm sure it goes without saying watch the sharp edges on the wire and your hands.

Jim

Hey Jim,
    You get the official McGyver award! I'm almost positive that would work. I actually tried reshaping some brass hobby tubing to get down in there but that didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Will this work for what you need? It's been in my tool box about 8 years and I've never used it. If it will work for what you need, you're welcome to have it if you just pay shipping.
    Hey David,
    As long as the small end of the shaft is around 0.13" OD I'm sure that's the tool. If so, I'll take it! Thanks! Send my your paypal address via PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DjDevNull View Post
    I think radio shack sells a pair of them $4

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...LAID=107590398
    Yeah, that's for sub-D. Won't work for my application. Thanks anyways!

As long as the small end of the shaft is around 0.13" OD I'm sure that's the tool.
    Ah, I don't think it is. I think it's closer to .16" If you still want it, you're welcome to have it.

Hey David,

Yeah, that's for the larger connectors. Thanks anyway! Good news is I was able to get them out with the aluminum can trick Jim advised. I'm very happy now!
    Thanks guys!
    Adam

Glad it worked out... BTW I need some advice on something and sending a PM.