Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: KVANT 2nd hand clearance!

Quote Originally Posted by yobresal View Post
    I believe you are right about the BLK being 0-5V but do I really need another power supply to connect to this power supply? The image is of the back of the power supply not the back of the laser.
    That looks like the back of the laser driver module, rather than the laser head. You will need to feed it low voltage.

For testing that blank input can be derrived from one of the 12V lines - by that I mean use a resistor divider to drop it down to 5V or use a 7805 (overkill).
    If using a PC psu then you will have plemty of 12V current plus a handy 5v supply to feed the blanking signal

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Okay, so as I understand it not only do I need this big laser driving module, but I also need a power supply or it? Maybe I would be better off just buying a new power supply. This driving module is old and crappy looking anyway.

Okay, so as I understand it not only do I need this big laser driving module, but I also need a power supply or it? Maybe I would be better off just buying a new power supply. This driving module is old and crappy looking anyway.
    You need, and will always need, both a driver and a power supply.

Right. The last driver I had used analogue modulation and received the 0-5V from the small power supply and had the 110V plugged right into the wall. If I remember correctly the old power supply I had also had 12V output so I guess I could just use my old power supply that has both 5v and 12 volt outputs is this right?

This driving module is old and crappy looking anyway.
    before you dismiss it take the bottom off the driver - four countersink screws in the thin base plus 2 to hold the connector bloc - take a look inside - if its clean and nice dont worry about the exterior - you can pretty this up. The PSU will be any decent 12V PSU that you can get but the driver is not an off the shelf item. This driver will have a number of pots internally (8 to be precise) which control parameters specific to YOUR head. This driver is part of your laser and is not just a swap out item. Unless you know the diode current and how to set the TECs keep this driver and dont condem it.

What model of laser did you buy and what power should it do - and what did Kvant say its doing?

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

I bought a 1 watt laser. They said that it was tested at 1.3 watts. I have yet to power it up. It was labeled as a CNI unit. The head looks as though it could be CNI but I have never seen this kind of a driving module before.

so I guess I could just use my old power supply that has both 5v and 12 volt outputs is this right?
    As long as its up to the heavy current of the laser you have bought - with this PSU it will be a high(ish) power laser maybe a 1W green...? If so as Phritzler you will need somewhere like 12A capability.
    The easiest (and cheapest) solution will be to buy or use a PC atx PSU a 350-400W type will give you 12V at >20A plus all the 5V you will need. Its overkill but it will do the job and get the laser working

Rob

I bought a 1 watt laser. They said that it was tested at 1.3 watts. I have yet to power it up. It was labeled as a CNI unit. The head looks as though it could be CNI but I have never seen this kind of a driving module before.
    It is a CNI

1W green will pull 5A through the diode and several amps when needed through the TECs so make sure you have 10-12A capability at least

Rob