Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Community "Crap Filtering" system.

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    Being the ever adversarial counterpoint in the mix i would like to offer an opinion if i may.

Now this opinion may not be popular and sound a little extreme, but what you are talking about could very easily get misused and misunderstood.

Ideas should NEVER be policed. The rules and the methods of enforcement should be in place to protect free thinkers who may often disagree with the status quo. Now i understand if those disagreeable parties go overboard and start personal attacks and trolling for fights.

The reason I bring this is not to accuse nor assume anything, but rather to advocate for those that may have new and interesting ideas that would otherwise be seen as blasphemy. As Huxley said: 'It is the customary fate of new truths to begin as heresies and to end as superstitions.'

~Alec
    The idea of moderating was NEVER about policing or restricting new ideas; in fact, it has been stated by many people on many different occasions that new ideas are certainly welcome here, and there are several independent software developers that hang out here that would vouch for my statement.

What we DO need to moderate is those with new / different ideas that show up, demand their way is the only way, and openly berate existing technologies and the people behind them like it is some sort of giant conspiracy against some of the recently departed forum members. If you think my statement is extreme - you need to go back over the last 6 to 8 months and read some of the inflammatory, paranoid BS ranting that was posted by some former members.

And BTW, being "artistic" or "creative" or "protective about their code", or whatever excuse they want to use for their actions, doesn't justify their BS!!

P.S. -

Nice Boobays, Adam!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Arrow

Ideas should NEVER be policed.
    Nowhere in this discussion has it ever been suggested that the point of having moderators (or a community voting system) would be to police *ideas*.

Instead, the issue is policing *behavior*. Specifically, antisocial behavior. People that fly off the handle at the slightest suggestion that they might be wrong about something need to be given a reality check, lest the forums devolve into nothing more than a laser version of bash.org or 4chan.

No one wants to stop free thinkers. You'll notice that Carmangary and James were both supported by many members of this forum, right up until they started getting ugly. People didn't turn against them because of their ideas... People turned against them because they were expressing those ideas in a very insulting manner. There is a significant difference there.

If this forum had a stance against free thinkers, then how would you explain Zoof's new 3D world simulator, or his LaserMame project for the Easylase? What about Mikojay's LazyMame for the LD2000? Or Dr. Lava's ILDA sos? Or Dean Hammond's LaserWave abstract generator? All these ideas came about because someone decided to try something new. The group here encourages that sort of thing.

But with encouragement, there also needs to be a frank discussion of the limits of a product. You'll note that Mikojay was one of the first to admit that his LazyMame code needs more optimization because the images flicker too much. That's called being honest with yourself, and Mike is respected for that. (Note: even though the flicker is there on some games, it's still a cool project.)

Contrast that with James' reaction when he was told that his Laserboy software needed a real GUI in order to be usable. His reaction pretty much turned everyone off on the idea of ever trying the software, even though it, too, was a cool project. See the difference?

New ideas are good. Passion is good. Knowledge is good. But you've also got to have at least some sense of community - some social graces - if you expect to get along with people. This community here on PL is quite tolerant, really. But only if you play nice.

Adam

Hey I will mod for homemade Chocolate chip cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    Gotta' share, though!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    Cookies? Who's got the cookies?
    (Damn, looks like I picked the wrong month to start dieting!)

Adam

You could be the rightest person in all of righteous rightdom, and if you were a dick about it, nobody's going to listen to you.

I try to be nice about it when I see someone making a mistake, but I've got a long history in computing, electronics, coding and even in performance art, and sometimes it's not a question of opinion; in science and technology, sometimes things are Just Wrong. If you're Just Wrong, science gives you this wonderful facility to test your beliefs, find them wanting, and say "okay, that's science, now I modify my opinion and continue with my life."

Moderating a forum that revolves around (really quite hairy) physics and (really quite experimental) engineering should be about science, and if you can't get your head around that, a minor application of the cluebat should be applied until your attitude changes.

Okay, so I'm a hard liner.

heroic i disagree with that entire statement except for the last line..

NEW technology is discovered when we realize that the FACTS were assumptions and seek the new truth, which is also doomed... eventually...

the earth is not flat...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

NEW technology is discovered when we realize that the FACTS were assumptions and seek the new truth, which is also doomed... eventually...
    I believe that's exactly what I said.

heroic i disagree with that entire statement except for the last line..

the earth is not flat...

Dude -

You pretty much disagree, ever so subtlety, with most threads you choose to participate in on this forum. You're NOT bringing new ideas and insights to this forum - you're basically just stirring up controversy.

I believe there is another forum out there where the members are more "open" to your way of thinking - maybe you should think about spending more time there...
    RR

Sweet.....

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs up