Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Community "Crap Filtering" system.

Thats correct i DO disagree with most points when posting.. otherwise whats the point in positing?

I agree with most of the people here most of the time.. and if i come across something I disagree with, I will get evolved with that post. I do not have a shit ton of experience, technical knowledge, or expensive software/equipment. I do not go out looking for trouble, but I have an opinion, i have ideas, I have a unique way of thinking that is completely outside the 'norm' and my perspectives are sometimes thought of as adversarial by some (as i stated before).

My mind is WIDE open, and if I disagree with you, and you disagree with me.. then we can fight it out and in the end, both learn something about each others perspective..

The last phone conversation i had with Buffo started out as a shouting match and ended with an agreement.. But its hard to get to that place in a forum where your intentions and ideas are often put off by the masses.

You do however bring up my exact point Stuka when you use specific wording in your post.

"I believe there is another forum out there where the members are more "open" to your way of thinking"

That may be true, but is it not also true that being open to other peoples way of thinking is EXACTLY what i was talking about from the start..

Heroic-
    Ok i dont disagree with all of it.. Just the part about moderation being a science..
    first of all science has set rules that are layed out and known.. its not governed by something as ambiguous as 'common sense and 'mutual respect'.

A forum should be moderated by people. This is not a forum however.. Its a diverse community of thinking people with personalties and opinions all there own. And when you put them all in a room, they all get along just swingingly, except for Buffo,nobody likes Buffo..

So while I agree that it is not the INTENTION of moderation to stifle progress, it CAN be a side effect. Technology develops around the edges, not the middle.

Charles Brown once said "A new idea is delicate. It can be killed by a sneer or a yawn; it can be stabbed to death by a joke or worried to death by a frown on the right person's brow"
    Last edited by keeperx; 03-10-2009 at 06:41.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    T Just the part about moderation being a science..
    first of all science has set rules that are layed out and known.
    Is a judge in a court of law not a moderator of society? He or she wields the mighty clue-by-four, the banhammer and even the feared and despised permaban from life.

If you're trying to suggest that a gentle hand is needed, then I agree. If you're trying to suggest that determinism is not a desirable characteristic in a moderator then I must respectfully disagree; whether you are building a nuclear reactor or a community, you need to know that your moderator is going to do the right thing. 8)

I can agree to that completely.. Im just making sure that "the right thing" is clear. With the recent upheaval, some MAY get the wrong impression as to what the point here is.. I believe that the moderator probably has his own daily struggle with walking the thin line between moderation and policing.

Im not here to argue about it, i just wanted to speak my piece about it. After all thats why this thread is here right?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Thumbs up That was good!

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    whether you are building a nuclear reactor or a community, you need to know that your moderator is going to do the right thing.
    Brilliant! Although many won't get the joke, this ex-Navy Nuc is laughing his ass off right now at your very clever analogy! Well played... Well played indeed!

Adam

I am telling you I am all about the cookies,,I am your man for the position of un-moderator!
    It seems this board does OK without a mod.
    few instances such as me being out of line was corrected by a few good words from a member or two.
    I would hope we could keep the self moderation..
    let the nukes proceed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b5cd7de5-a977-43d7-897d-bddcf8278e9e.jpg  

Last edited by Lasernerd; 03-10-2009 at 07:41.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    I am telling you I am all about the cookies
    Where? Where are the cookies? Damn... I go on a diet, and now everyone is talking about cookies. Someone just shoot me now and put me out of my misery...

True story: The clerk in the storeroom had a whole package of Oreo double-stuff cookies sitting on her desk this morning, and she asked me if I wanted some. Hell yes I wanted some! I wanted to eat the whole damn package! But I was a good boy, and told her that I was trying to shed a few pounds. (Sigh...) This diet is going to kill me. I just know it is... Only 3 weeks, and I'm dreaming of Oreos already.

Adam

PS: All bets are off for FLEM though! I'm *not* dieting while I'm in Florida. In fact, I'll be at the venue on Saturday morning with a BOX of cookies in my hand. (Actually, I might not be able to wait that long. Chances are I'll end up eating them all the night before...)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I have the show C is for COOKIE! Its on ADAT from LFI>

ASK dr LAVA, who could not stop laughing for about 5 minutes after watching it!

Steve

Get 300Evil's mega laser....a tube of Pilsbury choc.chip cookie dough.....and make cookies!!!!
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Steve
    Haha... yeah 'It's gooooood enough for me!'

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Steve
    I would like to see that.