Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: ILD SÔS - Ilda Manupulation Tool Now Available

Hello! I'm looking for good tool for conversion from 3ds max + Illustrate to ilda files. I've tried Laserboy. What about Laserboy vs. IldaSOS ? Is last one better in optimizing numbers of vertexes? I have 30K galvo and not so good DAC (iShow). And all my attempts to get clear image in Spaghetti are unsuccessful. Illustrate renders so many vertexes and Laserboy converts them all. So I have havy ilda image. What about IldaSOS. Is it able to reduce vertexes amount?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

ILDA SOS does optimized frames, Lasertoy does not.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    ILDA SOS does optimized frames, Lasertoy does not.

Steve
    I do not agree. I've developed image in dxf. It consisted of 338 vertices and 169 segments as displayed by Laserboy. And I just saved it as ild file. Then opened it again in Laserboy.It displayed 227 vertices and 58 segments. I rechecked ild file in zIlda prog. It displayed the same result (227 points and 58 hidden lines). So Laserboy does optimized and reduce output ild files. But what will make IldaSOS. If it is 100 it's worth its money. Or It will make 220 points. Then there is no need to buy it.I can include dxf file and result ild file. But I don't know how
    Last edited by poult; 04-09-2012 at 20:24.

Quote Originally Posted by poult View Post
    I do not agree. I've developed image in dxf. It consisted of 338 vertices and 169 segments as displayed by Laserboy. And I just saved it as ild file. Then opened it again in Laserboy.It displayed 227 vertices and 58 segments. I rechecked ild file in zIlda prog. It displayed the same result (227 points and 58 hidden lines). So Laserboy does optimized and reduce output ild files. But what will make IldaSOS. If it is 100 it's worth its money. Or It will make 220 points. Then there is no need to buy it.I can include dxf file and result ild file. But I don't know how
    Actually poult, what ildsos does and laserboy doesn't is make the spacing of the points perfect for laser display
    Laserboy converts every coordinate, making it scenes with a very high pointcount then it should normally be.
    I highly recommend ildsos, but you might need to be patient to recieve the license.
    Depends on how buzy drlava is, I think he is still very buzy.

Hi, data reduction is one of the key benefits of ILD SOS that I've worked on. Combine that with the ability to see your optimization changes live, and you can get better images in 1/10 the time of other tools when using ILD SOS. I've emailed your download link, and look forward to hearing back!

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    ILD SÔS utilizes Laserboy data structures internally (Thanks James!), however all of the functionality (including optimization/processing/reduction/import/export) in this program is unique.
    The import and export capabilities of ILD SOS are also from LaserBoy with very little modifications. The big differences are in the user interface, the live DAC connection and some of the point reduction techniques.

LaserBoy does things that ILD SOS cannot do and vice versa.

LaserBoy will not do any kind of automatic data reduction that changes or destroys original art. If some thought is put into creating art in a CAD program that saves its output as DXF, a better LaserBoy DXF import and finished product will result.

LaserBoy can detect and remove internal points within a straight line and equivalent vectors (that overlap each other). It can also remove points that are within a specific "insignificant distance" of each other.

If it is your goal to make a few frames and import them for optimization, then LaserBoy has all kinds of neat tricks to allow you to fix them manually. For large frame sets, manual manipulation of every frame is probably not very practical.

One of the neat features of LaserBoy is the ability to "explode" frames into a set of frames with each frame containing only one segment of the original frame. This allows you to reorder the segments and glue them back together in the order you want. This might over-ride the shortest path as calculated by LaserBoy. You can also connect segments together with "lit black" thus effecting the way the automatic minimizations change the order and direction of the vectors.

Once you strip out points you think are superfluous, you still need to consider the fact that the stripped vector art needs to be optimized for proper display. This will add points! Remember that your target output is 48K pps, by default. So 4800 points only takes 1/10 of a second to display. Also note that there are quite a few settings that you can change that effect how all of this works.

Another unique feature of LaserBoy is the ability to change the display such that the Z axis becomes the order in which the vectors are drawn. This allows you to rotate space a little bit and see exactly what is going on. If the art is fully optimized, you can see all of the dwell points and the transitions from the previous frame and to the next frame, etc. If you look at the side of the 3D cube of space, you will see the signal that goes to the Y galvo and if you look at the top of space, you will see the X galvo signal.

LaserBoy is free, open source and is known to compile and run exactly the same in Windows, Linux and Mac OSX. The C-Media 6 and 8 channel USB sound devices that are commonly used to make LaserBoy DACs are also know to work well in all of these OSs.
    Last edited by james; 04-17-2012 at 11:10.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post
    Hi, data reduction is one of the key benefits of ILD SOS that I've worked on. Combine that with the ability to see your optimization changes live, and you can get better images in 1/10 the time of other tools when using ILD SOS. I've emailed your download link, and look forward to hearing back!
    Hm. I have not recieved any letter.

I faced some difficulties in opening dxf from Illustrate in Laserboy. Wrong dxf format from illustrate? I do so: open dxf in ACME CAD CONVERTER then zoom out model. It's not at the center of screen. Then save it in dxf 2010. Then Laserboy can open it. And It produces quite good ilda files. But it's difficult to make animation this way.
    P.S. Is there any HOWTO for Laserboy?

You need to know that LaserBoy can only render some of the DXF drawing entities.

POINT
    LINE
    POLYLINE
    LWPOLYLINE
    CIRCULAR ARC
    ELLIPTICAL ARC
    TEXT

There is no code in LaserBoy to render SPLINE. So make sure you save your stuff as POLYLINE.

Also, In LaserBoy you can set it in advance before you import to either maintain the original center of the universe from the DXF drawing or find a new center based on fitting the art into a frame.

No. There is no HOWTO.
    I plan on doing that some day. When I was really into development, it changed so often that I would have to dedicate three times as much effort into keeping the doc up-to-date.

I do however really enjoy showing people around on Skype! If you want, you can call me with LaserBoy running on your computer and share that portion of the screen with me. Then we can both see what you are doing on your computer.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

'sup James!

poult, please PM me your info, check your email for one from ild.sos.activation