Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DMX software

The Enttec Pro interface will work with Chamsys so you have just about the best free software available if you want to put in the work to learn it.

It works on the concept of cues and cue stacks so may well work exactly as you are hoping to. Although you are not limited to cues for moving lights,or conventionals, you can mix and match, run effects (like pattern generators) via cues, lots of stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    The Enttec Pro interface will work with Chamsys so you have just about the best free software available if you want to put in the work to learn it.

It works on the concept of cues and cue stacks so may well work exactly as you are hoping to. Although you are not limited to cues for moving lights,or conventionals, you can mix and match, run effects (like pattern generators) via cues, lots of stuff....
    Yes, That is another reason why I chose that interface. I have however heard that there is a big learning curve for Chamsys is, so I might start with another "easier" software first.
    - instinct

I have however heard that there is a big learning curve for Chamsys is, so I might start with another "easier" software first.
    True, there is a learning curve but it isn't insurmountable.

And regardless of how much time you spend on 'easier' software (a loose term, I find MagicQ easy and fast, but I use it regularly), you will always have to tackle the learning curve at some point if you want to use it.

Freestyler, etc do not (imho) prepare you for using MagicQ, so they serve only as delays.

Remember as well that learning MagicQ will prepare you for working on proper lighting consoles such as Avolites, Frogs, etc as they share some core concepts of lighting control. Freestlyer, Light Jockey, DASLight, etc do not

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    True, there is a learning curve but it isn't insurmountable.

And regardless of how much time you spend on 'easier' software (a loose term, I find MagicQ easy and fast, but I use it regularly), you will always have to tackle the learning curve at some point if you want to use it.

Freestyler, etc do not (imho) prepare you for using MagicQ, so they serve only as delays.

Remember as well that learning MagicQ will prepare you for working on proper lighting consoles such as Avolites, Frogs, etc as they share some core concepts of lighting control. Freestlyer, Light Jockey, DASLight, etc do not

Good to know. Thank you very much.
    - instinct

Norty is correct.

I played with it for a while and it is very whole hogish / jands 500-1000. I was able to get it doing stuff pretty fast, but I can run hogs as well as other real boards and it follows a lot of those conventions. Freestyler is ok. But is is really clunky for any type of live performance compared to the chamsys and other lighting desks.

It takes some time but it is the real deal. Like the difference between pangolin and lasergraph dsp vs a soundcard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxxyz2.gif 
Views:	11 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	22968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whole_hog_3_lighting_console.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	22969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maxxyz3.jpg 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	22970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	full-size_incl_logos.jpg 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	22971
    bonus points to any one that can name them all

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

It would be harder if you hadn't left the labels on the first 3 of the images , but I'll tell you the 4th is the Grand MA

LOL!
    I realized that when I was uploading them, oh well. you win a pan galactic gargle blaster on me.

A friend just bought that grand ma. It is a REALLY cool board.

chad

Thats the sort of board you need to remortgage for....

I'd be happy with just a Chamsys Extra Wing and another touch screen. Another 10 physical faders would just be nice for my use, the 10 on my PC wing seem to run out too quickly

"Thats the sort of board you need to remortgage for...."

I know that damn thing was $55.000.00.

chad

Martin Maxxyz, Flying Pig ( > High End > Barco) Wholehog 3, Martin Maxxyz again, MA Lighting GrandMA2. All quite "common" when you're a lighting operator (but please don't ask me to program a show on a Maxxyz... PLEASE.)

If I could pick one: