Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Technical relationship advice

Default Technical relationship advice

I have a dilemma.

I'm getting engaged, no really, we can do that now, and I want a ring. However, I work with high current supplies and lasers, so I don't really want anything conductive or particularly reflective on my hands.

Any suggestions? I'd rather not be taking it off all the time.

Kevlar? With a deep enough resin coating; you shouldn't have to worry about the high current (providing we're not talking HV too.

Seriously though at my first job, 20 odd years ago; I saw a guy have a wrist watch melted on his arm. He was removing the transmission from a car and didn't disconnect the battery, his watch cought the main starter terminal and welded itself there 'till it melted. Gruesome and more effective than any college lecture or safety video
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Kevlar? With a deep enough resin coating; you shouldn't have to worry about the high current (providing we're not talking HV too.
    We're talking about power supplies for high performance computing systems, which can be many many amps at just a few volts.

I was thinking tungsten carbide... but it turns out to be a conductor :-(

The best answer would be........ don't get engaged...

Yup.

Kevlar then.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by trwalters001 View Post
    The best answer would be........ don't get engaged...
    Unfortunately this is not a good solution if you and your partner are of different nationalities and you wish not to be separated.

In any case, I love my fiance, am loved in return, and what could be better than that?

-J.,
    looking forward to the party

In any case, I love my fiance, am loved in return, and what could be better than that?
    Oh I don't know, a 500 pound sack of $100 bills might be better than that. Only kidding, I am very happily married!

edit-ok, she stepped away, HELP!

and your wife must not read this forum
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Is metal really a problem? If you manage to short something with the ring I'm sure the ring has much higher conductivity than some component in the power supply. Besides, isn't that what fuses are for?

As for lasers... well, just get a ring with a diffuse surface. If it's hard it will take a long time before it is polished again. Pt/Ir alloys are hard.

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    Is metal really a problem? If you manage to short something with the ring I'm sure the ring has much higher conductivity than some component in the power supply.
    Yes, the ring gets very hot and amputates one's digit.

The PSUs I work with are rated at hundreds of amps and source impedances are very low as a result.