Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Viasho 1W 532 PSU question?

Default Viasho 1W 532 PSU question?

Can anyone tell me exactly what the RT1 and RT2 values are that can be selected to be viewed, via the LED display, by the 3 position switch on the rear of this PSU please?

What do these values mean/show?

I have a problem with my laser and these two values are not the same as another unit that someone else owns.

Thanks
    Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

I really need to know it it is a TEC value of some sort or if it is a returning information, thermistor value?

Thanks
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Hi,Jim

Rt1 means the TEC value of the laser head.

Usually it is around -20.0.

Can you tell me what value is it on your power supply?
    http://www.viasho.com
    wzc@viasho.com
    Wechat & Whatsapp: +8613911142669

Hi smogthemog,

I am sure that they are thermistor values, but I am not sure where the thermistors are. The manual for VA series lasers says "thermal resistance range: 10k, 24k", but it does not specify where they are, or what the display values mean. I think you should contact Viasho about this, I am sure they will be pleased to help. I am interested to find this information too, so please post here if you figure it out.

Best regards,

weartronics

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Hi,Jim

Rt1 means the TEC value of the laser head.

Usually it is around -20.0.

Can you tell me what value is it on your power supply?
    Hi Frank.
    Thanks for the reply.

The problem I am getting is as you turn up the pot on the front of the PSU, the current on the display rises as normal and after 1A it starts lasing but then, after 1.8(ish) amps, the lasing starts to fall off again, it mode hops badly until it almost completely goes off at around 3A.

The three position switch next to the modulation switch could be telling me something? If I switch it to Rt1 it reads -28.2 on switch on and falls slowly as the laser starts lasing.
    The Rt2 position reads -0.5 on switch on and rises fairly quickly even when the laser is turned down. After 1 minute after switching on it has reached 30+. When I turn the pot up to start it to lase, it still continues to rise 40, 50 etc etc It doesn't seem to change as I turn the pot either way?

Any clues Frank?

Thanks
    Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

you got Viasho 1W green lasers,right?

Usually the laser has best beam and is most stable at max current.Mode hopping will exist when you turn on or down current.

Rt1 is working to control the TEC of laser head,so after warming up,the figure will reduce to around -20.0.Don't worry about this.

Rt2 is not working,because we don't use it in the power supply.

How is your laser now?What about the power?
    Let me know more about it.
    Thanks.
    http://www.viasho.com
    wzc@viasho.com
    Wechat & Whatsapp: +8613911142669

Yes Frank it is a Viasho 1w 532.
    Well I have really told you what is happening in the last post to be honest.
    I switch on the unit with the modulation switched to -TTL and turn up the pot on the front of the PSU, the current on the LED display rises as normal and after 1A displayed the laser starts lasing but then, after around 1.8 amps the lasing starts to drop off again and it starts to get less bright - it mode hops badly during this until the laser almost completely goes off at around 3A. It used to rise to just over 4A at maximum output.
    If I switch the switch on the rear of the PSU to Rt1 it reads -28.2 on the LED display on switch on and falls very slowly as the laser starts lasing.
    The Rt2 position reads -0.5 on on the LED display on switch on and rises fairly quickly even when the laser is turned down. After 1 minute after switching on it has reached 30+. When I turn the pot up to start it to lase, it still continues to rise 40, 50 etc etc It doesn't seem to change as I turn the pot either way?
    I have a friend that has the same laser and he gets very different values from me on his RT2 settings????
    The laser was working fine but then it just started doing this when I was projecting a circle at full brightness?
    Any help/pointers will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Quote Originally Posted by weartronics View Post
    Hi smogthemog,

I am sure that they are thermistor values, but I am not sure where the thermistors are. The manual for VA series lasers says "thermal resistance range: 10k, 24k", but it does not specify where they are, or what the display values mean. I think you should contact Viasho about this, I am sure they will be pleased to help. I am interested to find this information too, so please post here if you figure it out.

Best regards,

weartronics
    Hi.
    I did indeed get a reply and then a PM from Frank from Viasho but now all has gone quiet

I am sitting here hoping he will get back with some usefull information. Last call was he was speaking to his engineer on the matter. I really hope they can help me with this one

Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

It could be a dead TEC possible? Not that im an expert on viasho lasers, just throwing that out there

An update on the Viasho.

After being offered a new complete laser by Viasho at reduced cost I decided to send my laser to Mr Wax to have it repaired and he concluded that the 808nm pump diode had indeed blown
    A new replacement diode was ordered from Viasho which turned up with it's personal spec sheet included. The spec sheet for the 4W 808nm c-mount Pump gives it's MAX operating current to be 4.3A which considering that when the LED current display on the front of the PSSU driver unit used to read 3.85A and it was actually driving the diode at 4.3A (checked with two independent meters) - but - upon turning the pot up further would reach 4.6A, on the LED display, would suggest to me that the diode was being rather over driven from the factory and is thus 'possibly' the reason why it blew!
    NOT HAPPY!

I would suggest anyone owning a Viasho PSU/head combo to check the accuracy of their on board LED current display on their PSU's to the actual current supplied to the diode else you may be privy to a similar, expensive situation that I have encountered.

I am also a but surprised that Viasho are running these Diodes at maximum current to supply the 532nm 1W output of these lasers
    Surely it would be a far better option to run a larger diode at lower current to achieve the same output thus a better more reliable product?

All has now been sorted and Massive thanks goes out to Rob for the repair
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!