Thread: soundcard DAC idea

Default soundcard DAC idea

hi all,

I don't remember exactly who made a DLL for the soundcard DAC, but I have found the datasheet for CM106 chip, he heart of most of the basic 6 or 8 channels USB soundcards

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datashe.../CM106-L+.html

I have read this, and I found there were 4 general I/O pins available

there is also every pin info, register names and bit functions, etc...

the chinese soundcard I have has chip name CM6206 but is identical to that CM106 chip, and I'll look to "hack" it to the best

there is a problem with this soundcard though, as the waveforms are quite distorted over 1Khz... do anyone have any idea about the reason? is it due to the DAC quality or the analog I/O electronics?

I'd consider rerouting this part of the board to make a modest signal generator/data acquisition system for a diode testbench, and a soundcard DAC (I have 2 boards), but I wanted to gather an idea/suggestion on PL before starting anything

best regards

shrad

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

there is a problem with this soundcard though, as the waveforms are quite distorted over 1Khz... do anyone have any idea about the reason? is it due to the DAC quality or the analog I/O electronics?

end quote

Turn off the signal processing for the surround sound...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

thanks Steve, I'll try disabling any advanced DSP settings on this device and see if the signals are good

did you have a look at your optics yet?

EDIT:

I found out how to use this as a full duplex oscilloscope/wave generator easily

use stereo mix as input, front out set up for 2 speakers as output, 7.1 settings disabled, and my waveforms are not really distorted till they reach 5Khz

this is really nifty for a diode testbench and laser diode driver linearity tests

for those interested I use a nice program: http://www.zeitnitz.de/Christian/index.php?sel=scope_en
    Last edited by shrad; 05-29-2009 at 05:17.

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    hi all,

I don't remember exactly who made a DLL for the soundcard DAC, but I have found the datasheet for CM106 chip, he heart of most of the basic 6 or 8 channels USB soundcards

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datashe.../CM106-L+.html

I have read this, and I found there were 4 general I/O pins available

there is also every pin info, register names and bit functions, etc...

the chinese soundcard I have has chip name CM6206 but is identical to that CM106 chip, and I'll look to "hack" it to the best
    Yes, both the cm106 and 6206 chips have digital I/O. It was in 'the plans' to incorporate this into a shutter control and TTL control eventually.

I'd consider rerouting this part of the board to make a modest signal generator/data acquisition system for a diode testbench, and a soundcard DAC (I have 2 boards), but I wanted to gather an idea/suggestion on PL before starting anything

best regards
    shrad
    the 6206 chip had a slightly different analog output section than the 106, but in my laser tests the 6206 is still capable of driving scanners.