Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your very own laser created cycle lane

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Default Your very own laser created cycle lane

What a daft idea !!

I might go one step further and create my own 'laser bus lane' for cars... dragons' den anyone?...

5mW line versus Headlights? I think not.

photoshop much?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

They mention it's only a concept at the moment.

Also, 5mW line projected onto a black road?

I wonder if it uses something like 3 5mW lasers with gratings on each one to make up the three shapes. (two lines and a logo)

It would still be dim on a black asphalt road with ambient lighting.. Gotta wonder why they're not going with green.

This reminds me of the snow plow laser guidance system I saw a little while back.

-Jonathan

It could be over 5mW, as well.

We all know the limit for 'pointers' is 5mW. Now, I may be completely wrong here, but doesn't the FDA allow higher power lasers depending on applications and other factors including energy density? It could use a 300mW red and it's likely that any one given 'spot' in the projected pattern would be well under the energy density requirements.

I'ts been a while since I read all the laser regulations so bear with me

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=GooeyGus;90120]It could be over 5mW, as well.

We all know the limit for 'pointers' is 5mW. Now, I may be completely wrong here, but doesn't the FDA allow higher power lasers depending on applications and other factors including energy density? It could use a 300mW red and it's likely that any one given 'spot' in the projected pattern would be well under the energy density requirements.

End quote:
    Thats what variances are for.

If any part of the beam could get into the pupil at some point, and blow past the MPE, your toast. Hello, FDA? I need a variance and approved scan fail safeguards for my bike??? So its not the issue of being on the road, its the issue of what happens if you ride over something reflective or some one holds a unit up to their eyes.

Besides, its lame, too many stupid people around here would use it as a guidance system to get as close to the biker as possible...... Laser guided cars, great, just what I need when I'm doing my 20 miles 3 times a week. Bad enough as it is with folks trying to run me off the road. Our local roads are jet black, loaded with recycled tire dust, I'd need 100 mw of green to even start to make this effective, and studies have shown, 500 uWatts from a blinking red led at 1/2 to 2 hertz , aka the evolutionary dinosaur detecting motion frequency would hands down beat this on the effectiveness. If your not into dinosaurs, then sub in "Jesus gave us a nervous system that looks for 1/2 Hz to 2 Hz to avoid being a snack for lions"

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-03-2009 at 04:21.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Exclamation

Aye Aye Calm Down !!
    You yanks are getting your knickers in a twist about variances and doodah whatnots.
    It'll never see the light of day anyway.

Much safer to stay in a 2 ton car surrounded by metal and crumple zones, air bags etc. than take your chances on a piece of metal with two wheels and no protection at all !

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Much safer to stay in a 2 ton car surrounded by metal and crumple zones, air bags etc. than take your chances on a piece of metal with two wheels and no protection at all ![/QUOTE]

I dont ride in no stinking cages man,........... You can keep your damn two ton cages....... I need the air in my hair and the thrum of the wires in the tyres.....

just kidding.

Seriously, after doing the local back country roads a couple of times, I strap the bike to the very expensive bike carrier and spend the 15 minutes driving to the national park, or I would have been dead by now. My bike has 650 miles on it in two years, thats when the odometer quit. The bike, and the border collie who wont take no for a answer , have saved my life.

Border Collies are a excellent UK export, send more over.... Mine has this habit of sensing when I'm setting too much and being annoying till we go for a walk, even if his arthritic hips are killing him.

Steve