Thread: Will A Corherent CR-54 ps power an I-90M

Default Will A Corherent CR-54 ps power an I-90M

Ok here is a question of the day.
    Will a Coherent CR-54 ps power up and run a Coherent I-90m laser head?

This ps runs on 220v single fine. and I have a 54 tube that is high pressure and needs to be refilled. The I 90m is almost new having been changed only 2mths before the unit was pulled from service by FDA. I guess it didn't meet the FDA's spec. for continued use. The problem is that most of the venues that we have in Fresno don't have 208 3 phase access so I am wanting to get this I-90m working on something that can run on 220v single phase without having to haul a massive rotory converter with me. I also have a CR-52 krypton head that is not gas intact that I want to pull the laser out of and use the case for the I-90. I think since both lasers are on triangle optic rails this should be possible. If anyone can help it sure would be a lot less work for me. Right now we have a small RGB show @ about 600mw but we now are getting to a point that we have to expand.
    Steve Wall
    559-438-1979

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Ie you want to use a single phase 54 to run the medical tube, correct?

Yes, match the cathode transformers to the coherent spec and watch for cathode voltage falling off when you crank the current up. Undervolted cathodes fail QUICKLY. The krypton will easily run on the 54, the I90M will give you a watt or so. But you must adjust the cathode transformers correctly or use the transformer from the medical set.

Your 88 supply will run the krypton to 200-250 mW or so, Again, adjust the cathode transformer and watch for the cathode voltage falling as you crank the current. The limiting factor is the resistance of the power lines in the wall.

Roberts