Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: RGBV laser

While we're on the topic of scorching walls at venues...

I heard from someone who knew someone or some such thing, a while back...

...There was once a laser show operator that set up something like 2 or more 50+ watt YAGs at an NSync show back in the 90s or, perhaps the early 00s... All was well for the show and it was bright lazors everywhere blah, blah, blah.

The part that seemed notable was the account of the house lights coming up after the show was over, and black marks becoming evident all across the adjacent walls from his laser.

Anybody heard this one? I have no idea who told me this story, nor do I have a clue who the operator was. Funny (and scary) story though.

-Jonathan

Default No black white walls at church

Thankfully we just go home from setting up the lasers, when the lights were turned back on.............no black marks on the white walls..........Cat

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post

...There was once a laser show operator that set up something like 2 or more 50+ watt YAGs at an NSync show back in the 90s or, perhaps the early 00s... All was well for the show and it was bright lazors everywhere blah, blah, blah.

The part that seemed notable was the account of the house lights coming up after the show was over, and black marks becoming evident all across the adjacent walls from his laser.

Anybody heard this one? I have no idea who told me this story, nor do I have a clue who the operator was. Funny (and scary) story though.

-Jonathan

Talking Burning?

Well no burn marks any were.....yet.... Only thing its done is make the wall warm,and a fileing cabnet hot But I have lit matches with it works very well too!! About 6 secs. will do it!! now all I need are some ballons,hey I gotha have some fun!!

djmatt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    Well no burn marks any were.....yet.... Only thing its done is make the wall warm,and a fileing cabnet hot But I have lit matches with it works very well too!! About 6 secs. will do it!! now all I need are some ballons,hey I gotha have some fun!!

djmatt
    We set our puny little half watter up at an underground party once, it had been decorated with black balloons at ceiling level. The organizer asked us if we wanted someone to take them down, I said it wouldn't be a problem; thirty seconds after we turned the laser on, we ran it through our targetted beam cycle and hey presto- a perfect cone cleared in the balloons... was very cool :-)

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post

-Jonathan
    I wonder who sold those lasers to that boy band (I had front row seats anytime I wanted fyi) Their nick names were OJ & Kato COBRA, not the person who sold them...that was the names of the lasers! I never heard that story but I would know who to ask.

I did the same thing with fiber coupled argon lasers at the Civic Auditorium in SF They were very small dots that blended into the wood grain very well and you couldnt tell unless you looked very closely
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Thumbs up GFI and ARC Fault

Well Ive never liked GFI or Arc fault breakers, but now I really hate them I had set all my suff up and pluged in to my 50amp spiderbox,it has GFI breakers in it. So I fired up my laser with test pattern and it was shaking, I stoped checked all my wires, inside and out, all cables, everything perfect!! Then I thought it wasnt doing that before so I just puged it in on the stage and it works fine. Anyone else had that prob.? I have all my other lights,like LED pars,power spot ect.

djmatt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by djmatt View Post
    Well Ive never liked GFI or Arc fault breakers, but now I really hate them I had set all my suff up and pluged in to my 50amp spiderbox,it has GFI breakers in it. So I fired up my laser with test pattern and it was shaking, I stoped checked all my wires, inside and out, all cables, everything perfect!! Then I thought it wasnt doing that before so I just puged it in on the stage and it works fine. Anyone else had that prob.? I have all my other lights,like LED pars,power spot ect.

djmatt
    It sounds like you have a ground loop fault in your spiderbox. What this is, is that the ground voltage differs at your projector to what you have at your DAC, so current flows through the ground wires to try and equalize the levels. This causes a shimmy. (On audio you get a hum.)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    It sounds like you have a ground loop fault in your spiderbox. What this is, is that the ground voltage differs at your projector to what you have at your DAC, so current flows through the ground wires to try and equalize the levels. This causes a shimmy. (On audio you get a hum.)
    Yeah I tested that,and everything checks out perfect. Im an electrician, so I was going and checking everything. But you are right about the gound loop, it does really strange things. But I I still hate breakers......give my fueses anyday!!

djmatt
    Arc Flash the wonderbolt

Why would you prefer fuses? Other than cost breakers offer a much better margin of protection....

Quote Originally Posted by madgadget View Post
    Why would you prefer fuses? Other than cost breakers offer a much better margin of protection....

Breakers are much safer, they trip A LOT faster than fuses. and I know that from experience !