Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Chroma - a laser color blender

Chroma is a great tool, but best to use as a rough guideline.

For my first projector, I drove myself crazy trying to plan configurations based on what Chroma was telling me so I could get that dot to hit the white spot dead-center on the graph. In the end, to get up and running and stop wasting time and money, the config I chose was something like .7/.5/1.25, the red being 640 and the blue being a combination of 473 and 445. According to Chroma, the combined beam should have been light purple or lavender. In reality, the white balance was great, a very slightly blue-tinged white that was very bright and absolutely beautiful. The different beam sizes worked for me, not against me, and the 445's beam creates a wicked looking halo effect around the white when the beam is moving slowly or is static.

I have some upgrades in the works which will throw the numbers off more, but I doubt that the resulting balance will be altered all that much, even though Chroma says it will be very blue. Knowing what I know now that I have a working projector to look at, trying to get a perfect white balance is a waste of time. Just get that baby running, Borg. You won't be disappointed.

Anyone have a live link for Chroma to download?

Thanks

Greg

I found a copy I had saved awhile back. I believe this is the 64-bit version. The first link is the installer for all the required libraries, but if I remember correctly the .exe included in the installer doesn't work, so once installed you'll need to copy the Chroma.exe (second link) to your desktop or wherever you keep it.

http://www.stimulatingemissions.ca/cChroma_pkg.exe
    http://www.stimulatingemissions.ca/Chroma.exe

Miles

Miles,

Thank you!

Greg

Hi Miles,

Just for reference, it looks like the pkg is 64 bit but the chroma exe included does not install as you stated. The other chroma.exe download you sent does work but it is the 32 bit version.

I'm happy!

Thank you again.

Greg

original link is dead, the ones in post 113 gives this error when trying to install:

What "MCR"? Only thing I can think of was MATLAB runtime, but I tried both the 32bit and 64bit runtime installed while trying to install this and still same error.
    It seems it's a mismatched 32/64bit files in the above download?

Anyone else have a link?

I guess nobody has it then.

Any other similar program/tool/method of measurement will do.

I just want to know how to know what diodes to mix to get decent yellow, orange, aqua and violet beam colors.

It's not just the colour but the relative powers.

532:637:445 will give you the colours you want.

I suck at explaining myself.
    I want to know this:

1) if I have x Watt red (638 nm), how many Watts of blue (445) should I use to get a good violet beam?
    2) if I have x Watts of blue (445nm), how many Watts of green (532 or 520) do I need to get a good cyan beam?
    3) If I have x Watts of red (638nm), how many Watts of green do I need to get a good yellow beam?
    4) If I have x Watts of red (638nm), how many Watts of green do I need to get a good orange beam?

I hoped I could find a tool for this to not ask so many questions.

I think you are approaching it wrong if you are looking at specific colours produced by mixing. Clearly, yellow is going to require more green than orange will, so asking how much green for a good orange is pointless if you actually need more green in the projector to get your yellows!

Aim for a balanced white (with whatever leaning to hue you prefer/can afford - bit cold/blue, a bit warm/red, etc)

If you know you have X amount of 445, put this in, and adjust the green and red powers until you hit the desired white balance. You will then be able to get all the colours within the bounds of gamut marked.

But even then, you are over complicating things, as this is all stuff thats been done before and most people here could tell you off the top of their head what RGB ratios work best.

Basically, go for a ratio of 1:1:1.5 of RGB using 637/638:532/520:445/462 and you'll be in the right ballpark for all those colours, without having to ramp any colour down massively to achieve a balance.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.