Thread: Nzlem #1 4/4/9

Default Nzlem #1 4/4/9

Hi all,

A much delayed post.. however please cut me some slack as I've been a busy boy. This purpose of this post is to announce that the first ever NZLEM event took place on Saturday the 4th of April, 2009.

Unlike many other events posted up here we had a 100% attendance rate! (I'd use the poke ya eye with a stick smiley if it was available..), sure we cheated with only three people from two separate parties but.. it still counts!

The Soulstorm productions boys were invited round to Pitts (aka Ray) place for an afternoon of laser shenanigans, which was Soulstorms first chance to see the wonders of pangolin first hand. We must thank Ray for the pleasure of his company and for giving up the time and space to let NZLEM take place! If anyone is contemplating getting pangolin or not and has not seen it... well.. get it. It turned our projector into a graphics drawing dream. Scanners ran much much better than they ever have. Colours were better... everything.. well.. better! Blew me away the difference changing controllers can make.
    Due to time of the day and time it was a graphics only show, the beauty of New Zealand kept us glued to our video camera for longer than we expected to.

We got to take a peek at some newly aquired toys which are waiting to go into Rays beasty RGB projector, and the excellent workmanship he has put into his 532 boxes.
    We do not have any videos this time around, however next time I'm sure I can sort something out being a VJ and all!

So once again thank you Ray, we look forward to another meet in the future - perhaps next time we could sort out some beams (hopefully bring another RGB with us) and show the rest of the world what good ol' new Zealand is capable of

Smile

Very cool! Yeah, Ray is an awesome guy. Visiting him in NZ is on my list of things to do before I die.

Glad to hear you got a chance to see what the LD-2000 can do. It's really amazing, isn't it? Also glad that Ray was able to show you some of his toys. (He's got some nice ones!)

Did you happen to take any pictures while you were there?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Very cool! Yeah, Ray is an awesome guy. Visiting him in NZ is on my list of things to do before I die.

Glad to hear you got a chance to see what the LD-2000 can do. It's really amazing, isn't it? Also glad that Ray was able to show you some of his toys. (He's got some nice ones!)

Did you happen to take any pictures while you were there?

Adam
    Hi Adam,

Being a recently resigned computer techy... his workshop was a tech dream! If you're ever heading down here let me know also, I'd love to meet up with anyone off here. Steve Milani has been here in the past, if he makes another visit it'd be great to meet him too. One day I'll head to the states and see what beasty toys you guys have too hehe. According to Ray the biggest display lasers we have in NZ are a pair of 20W argons...

My stills camera has again fallen for the dreaded canon 300/400d focus issue curse so was not on hand to capture the moment, and the HD cam stills are okay but not the best so I didn't worry with it. So for now you could call 'pics or it didn't happen' and I'd be in trouble hehehe.

LD2000 is amazing. I was not expecting such a difference, although in saying that it's like getting a pair of very good speaker cables, wearing them in and getting ya socks blown off as they mature. In time I'll be getting the full pangolin suite for sure.

Next time I'll record the event properly.

Cheers,
    -Tristan

Thumbs up Re: NZLEM a success!

Hi Tristan;

Yeah, I knew you'd enjoy Ray's place. Just talking with him while he was here last year for FLEM was amazing enough. I can only imagine the number of other toys (besides the lasers) that he has in his workshop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstorm View Post
    One day I'll head to the states and see what beasty toys you guys have too hehe. According to Ray the biggest display lasers we have in NZ are a pair of 20W argons...
    That's pretty big! We've never had anything that large at any of our meets over here. Then again, all of our meets have been indoors. With that kind of power we would be in danger of setting things on fire! The hottest laser we've had up to this point has been a Lexel 95 Argon that was making around 4 watts. We've had a few DPSS greens that were making 2-3 watts, and at the first SELEM (back in 2007) we had a converted HGM5 that was pumping out 3 watts. Of course, it was close to melting at that point too!
    So for now you could call 'pics or it didn't happen' and I'd be in trouble hehehe.
    No sweat. We'll take your word for it this time. But next time we're going to demand pics *and* video!
    LD2000 is amazing. I was not expecting such a difference
    People always have that reaction. These days when I meet someone that has never seen Pangolin, I like to load up the Gradient Moby beam show and run it on their projector. That usually convinces them! Then just to toy with their heads a little, I'll fire up Asteroids... And for a grand finale I'll run the Linea raster show. At that point their jaw is usually on the floor.

You know - Ray is a Pangolin dealer now... So when you're ready to upgrade, he's your man!

Adam

beached as eh bro

choice!
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

So when are we having a AUSNZLEM... ???

Ray

NZer in Auckland. I'd be keen to have a meetup / [LEM?] sometime.

I'm a cronic volunteer, so if you need someone to organise / help I'm your man.

How many NZ members do we have now?