Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laserscope KTP 532 "Problem" Code

Default Laserscope KTP 532 "Problem" Code

Good Evening Everyone,

What a great forum! Sure wish this was around eight or nine years ago the last time I was scratching my laser "itch"!

Just got in a Z-Fold Laserscope and went to give it a bit of a test run this afternoon. The unit goes through it's startup routine and makes it to about 58 seconds remaining in the count-down routine then comes up with a "Problem" code P0010. Since this unit didn't come with any manuals I'm at a bit of a loss as to exactly what needs to be done in order to get it going from here. I suspect that it might be that I have no fibers connected to the unit, but as I said, I really have no indication of what the code refers to.

I do plan to strip the unit down and do away with the factory computer and all of the other "unnecessary" junk on the unit but would like to do a couple of quick trials on the unit before I start hacking it apart. I used to have an old L-Fold Laserscope which I converted over to manual control, but on that one it was a no-brainer. The computer in it was totally shot when I got it so there was no point in even trying to make it operate before giving it a complete overhaul and building the manual control circuit.

Any tips or pointers? Anyone know where one might find a service manual for this unit?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

John

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

0010 is a interlock fault, could be no fiber. Do you know how to bring up the service mode screen?

Steve

Default Service Mode Screen

Good Morning Steve,

Thanks for the tip. I was guessing that I hadn't satisfied an interlock someplace along the road (fiber seems most likely.

Unfortunately I don't know how to bring up the service mode. I'm totally playing by ear here as I've not been able to locate any documentation for the system. As I mentioned before, the L-Fold that I used to have came to me with a dead computer so there was never any opportunity (or need) to learn anything about the factory control system. That system went straight onto the chopping block and got a home brew controller.

Do you know how to access the service mode?

Thanks,

John

Good Afternoon Andy,

It turns out that I've made some progress with the system during my free time this afternoon. Mark at DNAEquipment called and explained the the P010 code we were getting was related to low power and not necessarily an interlock issue. He suggested checking to make sure there were no burns on any of the optics and everything was clean. I was a bit skeptical about this as the unit had just come from a hospital environment and appeared to be very clean, and in fact it was. However, when I started checking things I realized that the dust tube between the cavity and the HR was dislodged ever so slightly. Setting it back in position cleared the P010 code and the system started to lase.

Of course then I ended up with a S042 code so I called Mark back to see if he was still giving out free advise. He checked his SM and said that the S042 was an problem with the surgical attenuator. His suggestion was to check all of the rotary solenoids that hold the various selectable optics and see if one of them was binding up. I tried that and they were all free throughout their range of motion. After a little more digging I found out that the attenuator actually referred to the motorized polarizer and after a bit of adjustment I was able to clear the S042 code.

The system starts up and runs fine now. I was able to put it through its self test routine using the little plug that goes in place of the endostat and everything passes.

Now what I would like to do is either figure out how to put it into "service" mode so that I can have full control over the system without fighting the computer and interlocks, or find out what sort of wiring needs to be done in order to trick the computer to "think" that there's a fiber connected to the OC on the front of the machine. I believe that would give me more or less complete control over the unit as well so long as all of the other interlocks were functioning correctly.

Mark said that to put the unit into service mode requires a "smart-card" type key which can only be used a certain number of times so it doesn't sound too likely that I'll be able to take that route. Figuring out how to trick the computer into thinking that a fiber is attached is probably doable but will be time consuming.

Any suggestions or tips you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

John

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

PM sent.

Hi John,

What are you actually trying to do?.

Start the laserscope to burn your door or use it for shows.

Good Afternoon Andy,

Well I would love to say that I'm going to go all out, build a set of scanners (slow ones with big mirrors of course) but in all truthfulness I'll probably burn a few holes in things and then move on to another project after a few months of tinkering. That's pretty much how things went with my old L-Fold. Of course I did manage to strip that one down and remount everything into an ATA rack which cut the weight down to about 1/4 of the original (I know that's not saying a lot, but it was a major improvement). I have quite a bit more "shop" space now so who knows, I might get a bit more creative with this one and actually take the time to build something interesting out of it.

You won't find me out and doing any shows with it. I love tinkering with lasers, but have no real inclination to get into the laser show business as that seems to necessitate working late hours, and frankly, that's when I would rather be asleep! This is just a hobby for me.

Thanks,

John

Smile

We would love to see any pictures of your laser and your adventure with the laserscope!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Just so you all know who you're dealing with here, this is John [last name removed by request]. Back in 2004, he very nearly ripped me off for $1500 and did manage to rip off a bunch of other laser people. Be very very careful dealing with this guy, in my experience, he cannot be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by jdaivpmed View Post
    Good Evening Everyone,

What a great forum! Sure wish this was around eight or nine years ago the last time I was scratching my laser "itch"!

Just got in a Z-Fold Laserscope and went to give it a bit of a test run this afternoon. The unit goes through it's startup routine and makes it to about 58 seconds remaining in the count-down routine then comes up with a "Problem" code P0010. Since this unit didn't come with any manuals I'm at a bit of a loss as to exactly what needs to be done in order to get it going from here. I suspect that it might be that I have no fibers connected to the unit, but as I said, I really have no indication of what the code refers to.

I do plan to strip the unit down and do away with the factory computer and all of the other "unnecessary" junk on the unit but would like to do a couple of quick trials on the unit before I start hacking it apart. I used to have an old L-Fold Laserscope which I converted over to manual control, but on that one it was a no-brainer. The computer in it was totally shot when I got it so there was no point in even trying to make it operate before giving it a complete overhaul and building the manual control circuit.

Any tips or pointers? Anyone know where one might find a service manual for this unit?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

John
    Last edited by Junktronix; 04-30-2009 at 13:02.