Thread: Safety devices

Default Safety devices

Hi guys,

A while back we had a few good threads happening on various permutations on safety devices.

Now I have been in and out due work over the last few weeks so may have missed something if its been kicked around (or to death).

Some of our brighter guys had come up with some design concepts and were looking real good.
    Then if I recall some "back and fore" took place over doing this with less and less to improve the issue of potential failure points.

There was talk of "amateur" only status (why ? are our eyes worth less or is it that you might be less likely to be sued, an issue we don't have down here in NZ).

Then there was some sharp comments as I recall from those in the know about advanced design.

Then there was the PASS system from Pangolin but this still is not an option due more work required for an economic sensor for the masses.. so right now that's a no go.

A lot of talk about the rights and wrongs of micro' based designs and the usual if its software it must be suspect ??.

While this is all going on (or not as the case may be)... people at Eye Magic have a fully working system (IRIS) plus they are apparently getting high speed shutters. ( although these may be the "dreaded" micro based systems)

But hey what's the best path.. promises of designs to come one day, products to reach the market or something that's out there now and working ??

So where are we now...

Did anyone manage to get a good reliable system going for so called "amateur use".

How far away is an affordable Pangolin PASS system now ??

What are the issues for say the Eye Magic IRIS system..

Have ILDA yet done anything about basic safety training for members ??

Seems a lot of discussion but very little is available so far in terms of outcomes.

By the way not knocking anything or anyone here, I have no association with Eye Magic at all but it seems it may be the only choice right now.

Oh well, in the meantime its back to the piece of alumnium to stop the beam going where it should not go.
    Maybe that's the answer five bucks of ali' shutter all done totally fail safe no electronics to fail.

Cheers all

Ray
    NZ

Thumbs up Yeah... What ever happened to that idea?

Hi Ray;

Are you talking about general projector safety equipment, or specific scanner failure circuitry?

I do remember that Dave was working on an analog design to implement some sort of scanner failure detection, but I think he had to put that on hold to attend to a more pressing issue. Not sure what the status of that project is at this point.

Also, I remember that Heroic suggested using a microcontroller to implement a scan-fail interlock... Several people took issue with using a digital solution for intrinsic safety reasons, but your point is valid - for a hobbyist that would otherwise have no scan-fail protection, a microcontroller-based solution is better than nothing at all.

No idea if she ever actually tried to build the thing or not though. Maybe this thread will revive the topic...

Adam

Gotta pull my finger out on this one!

Just gotta finish a new projector build first and then I should have some free time
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I'm waiting to hear back from Eye Magic about how to pay for the darn thing - I'll play test bunny for PL I guess Hoping to get it landed by end of next week.

Tom from Eye Magic says it has adjustable attenuation from 1-50mW per beam, the sensor does the rest. The only limitation being a pure hardware solution is that you cannot set high power zones, only a horizon as such for high power overhead effects.