Thread: My torch :D

Default My torch :D

I got this little beauty from dealextreme.com for $36

It's rated for 900 lumens, and takes a 18650 battery. I accidently forgot to buy a battery with it, but lucky the laptop battery pack I had laying around, had like 10 18650's in it I also bought a ultrafire charger to charge the liths with, not taking any chances with those things!

Anyways, here's the pics

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/203420/Torch/index.html

This thing lights up my whole street very well

Cheers,
    Dan

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

How much Watts?

Watts, does not mean a thing in how bright something shines in LEDs, bulb and other types of lighting, lumens and lux is what it's all about. I should know I made the mistake when I first got into stage lighting thinking that 250W halogen bulb would be brighter than a 150W Discharge lamp, I now know better and look for the lumens and lux values when deciding on a lighting fixture.
    For example my GLP Scanners have ELC 24v 250w Gx5.3 lamps in them, they give 800 lumems, my Martin Scanners have Philips MSD 150/2 (150w) Discharge lamp and they are 2800 lumens. I could give you the lux levels for the Martins but not for the GLPs, so would not be much point.
    So 900 lumens for a little hand held torch is quite bright, but would definately not light up a whole street to any real degree.

See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumen_(unit) for more info.
    Last edited by Onge; 04-27-2009 at 09:08.
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

I know, I kan look in my 100 W halogen lamp from my scanner with no problems, but for some reasons I get a mental block preventing me from watching in my 300 mW red laser...

Never mind, got a bit confused with the pictures, thought it was a very bright LED, my fault. What type of lamp is it?
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 11-30-2009 at 10:56.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    I know, I kan look in my 100 W halogen lamp from my scanner with no problems, but for some reasons I get a mental block preventing me from watching in my 300 mW red laser...

Never mind, got a bit confused with the pictures, tought it was a very bright LED, my fault. What type of lamp is it?
    More than likely a luxeon star. or similar
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Yes, it is a LED. It's a SSC P7 LED from Seol Semiconductors. This thing is like a luxeon LED, but has 4 dies in it

heh "luxeon", haven't seen any new luxeon brand products in a while. They were one of the first companies (if not the first) to offer mulit watt leds.
    As far as i know they're pretty behind the times now, CREE past them many years ago in terms of brightness, price and efficiency.

SSC i think are pretty new but from what i've seen they make some pretty awesome leds.

I got some SSC 900 lumen leds from dealextreme also and they are amazing.

Just for reference, a normal household 100W incandescent lightbulb is around 1700 lumens.

Hopefully one day we'll have cheap laser diodes at these sorts of powers.
    or maybe not so hopefully, god knows what sort of damage an idiot could do with a cheap 12W laser
    Last edited by Psi; 11-30-2009 at 03:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Psi View Post
    Hopefully one day we'll have cheap laser diodes at these sorts of powers.
    or maybe not so hopefully, god knows what sort of damage an idiot could do with a cheap 12W laser
    I found out recently the Darwin Award does not only apply to the most stupid death of people, but to the most stupid manner of removing yourself from the gene pool.
    If the power is big enough and if the idiot is stupid enough, then there could be some very interesting awards soon.
    >:-D