Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Citroen Saxo VTR 1.6

Default Citroen Saxo VTR 1.6

I am getting pretty good quotes on 1.6 liter sports cars now that I am 18 I was getting quotes on cheap old 1.2 cars for around £1,100 a year (my first car) but now I am 18 I am getting quotes on sports cars for the same price.

There seams to be a 1.4 1997 Corsa for sale near my work place that dont seam to be selling which is what I was going to get but now I can afford sports cars I am looking at Saxo VTRs seeing as I have always loved them.

I know you are all going to say that a 1.6 for a first car is an insane idea but I am a pretty good driver, I learned in a 1.2 Micra, driven my mums 1.4 Purgeot, my dads 2 liter Mondeo and for fun a pathetic 800cc Daewoo Matiz and never had trouble driving any of them.

So has anyone ever driven or been in a Saxo VTR? What are they like? Much different from standard models other than the engine?
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

VTRs are ok, 1.6 8v around 100bhp if I remember right. Way enough to get you in some trouble. Saxo sports club would see you well... BTW a modded 1.3 Micra will beat you I have seen it happen many times at santapod hahaha. Nothing wrong with an old 1.2 micra haha I have an F plate 1.0 micra with a turbo that makes 200bhp..
    A fun video of it is here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F43fNZUVB8

Quote Originally Posted by madgadget View Post
    VTRs are ok, 1.6 8v around 100bhp if I remember right. Way enough to get you in some trouble. Saxo sports club would see you well... BTW a modded 1.3 Micra will beat you I have seen it happen many times at santapod hahaha. Nothing wrong with an old 1.2 micra haha I have an F plate 1.0 micra with a turbo that makes 200bhp..
    A fun video of it is here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F43fNZUVB8

Hmm, fancy a race? Haha, meet you ar Santa Pod.

I can't imagine a micra beating it, but then the Micra should be a heck of a lot lighter than the Saxo so it could be an interesting race. I will be making light modifications to it as well, but mostly cosmetics... the only performance mod I will be doing is the exhaust system.

I will watch the video at lunch, I am at work at the moment... Just waiting for software to install . A 1.0 with 200bhp though... That would be insane... constantly changing gears as well. I learnt in a 1.2 Micra and doing 70mph in 5th gear in that is horrible, the engine screamed like mad and it was just at the point where I could feel the peddles vibrating from the engine.

My micra has almost 200lb/ft of torque. So no not many gear changes needed unless your being silly as it will go up most hills in 5th lol.

Micra isn't much lighter. (K11 - first bubble version) Its fact proved it time and time again @ pod haha.

I had a 3 litre Capri when I was 18! My how things have been locked down by insurance companies. The Saxo is a nippy little thing mainly due to it weighing the same as a Coke can, but has an appalling NCAP crash rating. If you could find one; the Suzuki Swift GTI is a very under rated little pocket rocket, and very tunable. Back in the late nineties a friend of mine had a Corsa with a Calibra turbo motor and 6 speed box in it. That was quite" lively".
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lamborgini8 View Post
    I am getting pretty good quotes on 1.6 liter sports cars now that I am 18 I was getting quotes on cheap old 1.2 cars for around £1,100 a year (my first car) but now I am 18 I am getting quotes on sports cars for the same price.

There seams to be a 1.4 1997 Corsa for sale near my work place that dont seam to be selling which is what I was going to get but now I can afford sports cars I am looking at Saxo VTRs seeing as I have always loved them.

I know you are all going to say that a 1.6 for a first car is an insane idea but I am a pretty good driver, I learned in a 1.2 Micra, driven my mums 1.4 Purgeot, my dads 2 liter Mondeo and for fun a pathetic 800cc Daewoo Matiz and never had trouble driving any of them.

So has anyone ever driven or been in a Saxo VTR? What are they like? Much different from standard models other than the engine?
    If you can find one, get hold of a Fiat Coupe. I had the 20v (5 cylinder) turbo variant and the acceleration was ferocious. Standard 220Bph at the wheels and 155Mph. Sounded like an Audi quattro too. There's some guy here in the UK with a modified coupe squeezing out 460Bhp
    When it first came out it was the most powerful production front wheel drive car in the world. Unfortunately, it's also group 20

Well, there's a first...

I never expected to see the words 'Citroen' and 'Sports Car' in the same sentence

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Well, there's a first...

I never expected to see the words 'Citroen' and 'Sports Car' in the same sentence

Jem
    I think they are one of the only car in the small hatchback group that don't have the word Sport in the name. I can think of Clio Sport, Corsa Sport.

I will be sticking with the Saxo, or if not a Corsa Sport. There are Saxos around for under £1,000 plus my insurance being £1,100 roughly so that makes it easily affordable for me.

Modifications on the list are probally along the lines of boy racer apart from, unlike most boy racers, it actually will have taste to it. The list is:

Cosmetics Exterior:
    Alloys
    Headlights
    Rear Lights
    Windscreen Strip
    Slight Black Window Tint (Probally film tint)
    (All colour matched to bodywork. eg. silver bodywork, silver windscreen strip, lexus style rear lights etc.)(Always had a think about black and silver so if I get a silver one it will have black alloys, black windscreen strip, black faded lights, black graphics on the car)
    Along the lines of this (either that model or the newer model)
    http://www.modifiedcars.com/pix/cars...1396_26756.jpg

Cosmetics Interior:
    Tweeters
    Mid Range Speakers
    Sub Woofer
    Gauges Changed
    Gauge Backlight Changed
    Head Unit (CD/SD/USB/Radio)
    New Stering Wheel
    Seat Covers (Depending on bodywork colour)
    Footwell LED Lighting (Same colour as new gauge backlight)

Performance:
    Full Exhaust System
    Large Exhaust Pipe

Expensive job but I will drag it out over time.

citroen saxo voted worst car of the year in 2004 or 2005 cant remembr which.
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    citroen saxo voted worst car of the year in 2004 or 2005 cant remembr which.
    Standard Saxo = 1.1 = crap
    Saxo VTR - 1.6 - awesome

If you put it next to a Purgeot 106 or possibly a Clio it is basically the same car as well.