Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Rhodamine 6g & 532nm

Apologies for that smily; I typed it in by hand for the effect I wanted, but the stupid server grabbed it and screwed it up.

Should have been a colon, a hyphen, and a hashmark; intended meaning "with teeth slightly gritted".

I go to the shop and this is what I have:

1: Coherent 599OEM orange painted dye head with 620nm OC
    1: Coherent 599OEM black painted dye head with standard OC
    1: Coherent dye circulator rack mount fornt but missing the sheet metal back cover
    2: spare jets
    3: spare standard OC
    2: spare 620nm OC
    1: misc - hoses, reservoirs, circulator water filters, misc pumps - may not be Coherent original spec.
    1: Custom circulator w/ TE dye coolers, custom pump, but no controller.

$600.00 plus shipping for everything or best offer. I'll post pics of everything if interested. I believe that the 599s were originally $10k ea.

jon - will hold for you if interested due to the weather - if anyone else is interested jon gets first right.

laservideo

... 'n when yer ready to 'upgrade' that DPSS to a real 'flashlight' to pump-with, may I suggest: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectra-Phys...item2c529119d2 ..it'll give that 599 a proper-spanking...

..as-if, right? :P

peas...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ... 'n when yer ready to 'upgrade' that DPSS to a real 'flashlight' to pump-with, may I suggest: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectra-Phys...item2c529119d2 ..it'll give that 599 a proper-spanking...

..as-if, right? :P

peas...
    j
    You got that right. I can spend about $100 at a time...

Cheers --
    jon

Quote Originally Posted by lls@laservideo.com View Post
    I go to the shop and this is what I have:

1: Coherent 599OEM orange painted dye head with 620nm OC
    1: Coherent 599OEM black painted dye head with standard OC
    1: Coherent dye circulator rack mount fornt but missing the sheet metal back cover
    2: spare jets
    3: spare standard OC
    2: spare 620nm OC
    1: misc - hoses, reservoirs, circulator water filters, misc pumps - may not be Coherent original spec.
    1: Custom circulator w/ TE dye coolers, custom pump, but no controller.

$600.00 plus shipping for everything or best offer. I'll post pics of everything if interested. I believe that the 599s were originally $10k ea.

jon - will hold for you if interested due to the weather - if anyone else is interested jon gets first right.

laservideo
    Hi. About all I can probably afford is an outlet hose. My budget is extremely limited.

Best --
    jon

We have a new bottom line on one version of the question that seems to have started this thread.

The pump laser I'm using (as I believe I already mentioned) is a 200-mW module that I got on eBay. I haven't measured the output, but the vendor claimed 200 +/- 10%. It is hiding under a TEC, which I haven't actually been powering yet -- for the moment I'm just using a small fan. Here's a photo:

http://71.166.254.214/pictures/laser...-DPSSL.14c.jpg

Here are the innards of the 599, with the jet running and lit, but not actually lasing:

http://71.166.254.214/pictures/laser...nnards.14c.jpg

(The OC is off to the right, outside the frame of this photo.)

Here is a short video:

http://71.166.254.214/pictures/laser...599-lasing.MOV

(Under ordinary circumstances the dye output is directly above the residual pump light; but it is so close to the green spot that it is hard to see, so I put a prism in the beam in order to get a bit of separation.) I shot the video with my Canon G11, using the digital zoom, which I loathe and usually refuse to have anything to do with, but I wanted a larger image than I could conveniently get with camera position.

The dye is Rhodamine 6G, out of a bottle of biological stain from several decades ago, seriously not "Laser Grade", but it does work -- I've successfully pumped it with flashlamps and with nitrogen lasers in the past. For this setup I dissolved it in a mixture of 91% isopropyl alcohol and glycerol (maybe 3:2 ratio, but I had to fiddle with it, so don't trust that), and I added a little bit of Ammonyx LO, also from some decades gone by. The solution is not optimized; I only just started to get something resembling real lasing a little earlier this evening.

I should also mention the fact that I was running the circulator at only about 25 psi when I shot the video; I had it as high as 31 a few days ago, but then I swapped out the dye solution, and now it fusses and blows back if I try to turn it up to the suggested operating pressure. Sigh.

If anybody wants to know whether it is possible to use a green DPSSL to power a CW dye laser, the answer is a flat Yes. Not only can it be done, I've done it.

Cheers --
    jon

Quote Originally Posted by starlogic View Post
    I recently had a full medic & was told that i will live for another 40 year`s
    The taxman applauds that news...