Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhodamine 6g & 532nm

Steve...you are driftin on me buddy, he has a teaspoon of r6g powder and a 1 watt (IR unspecified) 532 laser. Im not sayin he cant do it...im just sayin he has a fair way to go to get red beamz

ring lasers are higher gain (without the tuning element) but much more complicated than a standing dye laser. (keep in mind we are talkin CW here)
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

whoops, drift deleted.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Rhodamine 6g, didnt hear of that for 10s of years.

I had loads of the dangerious powder years ago for use also in dye laser applications.

I think Ciba speciality chemicals in UK supplied it.

Take head of the warnings, the dye is very dangerious and for anyone else reading, we are talking about in its raw state a very fine powder that is very dark red.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodamine_6G

I don't understand why everyone thinks rhodamine is dangerous. I've looked at several MSDS for it and it looks fairly harmless. It might not be a good idea to eat the whole teaspoon of it, but even if you do, you'll probably be OK. Your pee might be a bit more colorful for a day or two though. The oral LD50 for rats is 400 mg/kg, which means you have to eat quite a lot of it to die. The MSDS further states that it has no known chronic toxicity and is neither an anticipated or known carcinogen.

I was under the impression that laser dyes have to be very pure though, so that 15 year old R6G might not be up to the task anymore, depending on how it's been stored (if in a dark freezer it will be OK, if in direct sunlight - probably not).

I've had my head handed to me on a platter a couple of times for saying pure R6G is a problem. By itself, in small Q, its not. BUT...

r6G + dmso in the dye mix is the issue, dmso carries it into the tissue and you get a mutagen, and not just with r6g.

It used to be on the list of FDA approved dyes in some slightly modified form, hence the idiot who used to sell it on EBAY to mix in people's drinks.
    CAVE: (medical latin for warning) There are a lot of varients with a few atoms differnce,

I filed a warning with ebay 3 times, and they said he can prove its a foodstuff. I call cowpatties, because the MSDS I have, from the mid 80s, from excitek, calls it untested and a mutagen. Of course they are gonna call their laser specific one a mutagen, why risk it.

There is a paper on laser dye safety, its old, and I do not have a copy any more.

Disodium Flourescein is harmless and used in medical procedures, if you must eat a dye, used in Dr Schalow's famed Jello laser, eat that one.

Do you even have Jello Gelatin in Europe?, If you dont, you had a deprived childhood. Also are MSDS a world wide thing?

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-11-2009 at 05:39.

I was under the impression that laser dyes have to be very pure though, so that 15 year old R6G might not be up to the task anymore, depending on how it's been stored (if in a dark freezer it will be OK, if in direct sunlight - probably not).[/QUOTE]

cruddy old R6G lases with N2, but I dont know how well it does in a ring system.

Steve

my .02 when working with dye lasers at SP, we were taught that all laser dyes are dangerous because we dealt with EVERYTHING from deep uv pumped to FAR IR pumped lasers so we just treated them with care ALL THE TIME. 80% of the time we worked with DMSO as a quenching agent (i think) with mostl laser dyes

The only thing that comes to mind is that scene in the movie Pulp Fiction when the chick snorts herion thinking it was cocain. i would not recommend that
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

what about lasing beer?

we would generate the most magnificent rainbow here in Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by shrad View Post
    we would generate the most magnificent rainbow here in Belgium

take this to the bar with you and find out. This guy has to have the record for cheapest truely home made blue laser with some zing to it!

If you like nanosecond pulses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDJ316rt41M

if he'd bother to add high reflectors to the dye cell and the N2 head, he would double the power at least
    Steve