Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhodamine 6g & 532nm

What is he using for dye? I was watching without sound, if he mentioned it. Also, is the n2 really necessary? How much power would one gain using n2 over just air? Air is around 80% n2 to begin with, right?

I would absolutely love to start a project like this. Could one use a 3kV hene supply or does this require neon sign transformer power levels? I've always wanted to build a tea nitrogen laser... Maybe it's time to start!! I'm just wondering how he got blue... I've heard of using laundry detergets but I really have no clue if they actually work.

He's using a coumarin dye. More specifically, 4-methylumbelliferone. There are lots of coumarin-based dyes, not all of them work in dye lasers, but I think a large portion of them actually do. I actually had 20 or so of my students synthesize a coumarin dye last week. It had its absorption peak at 385 nm and emission at 450 nm in water if i recall correctly. They've thrown it all away now anyway.

If anyone with a working dye laser setup is interested in testing some very new and rare dyes (as in, I just made them and they likely only exist in one place in the whole universe), send me a pm. I'm doing my PhD in dye synthesis, so I might have a few laying around. They seem to have very good photostability too.

Oh, and you can use air in these lasers. I don't know how big the difference is between N2 and air though.

if I remember well:

just plain air contains too much O2 to sustain a good plasma without arcs, which behave like short-circuits and thus, N2 is not pumped well

plain air needs extreme electrode flatness and a really good alignment

also, vacuum helps to reduce voltage

N2 also has to be flowed as the energy level, once high, reduces more slowly thant the discharge occurs (thus needing N2 atoms to be renewed)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

blue = D.coumarin

exciton.com laser dyes.

with n2 the pump wavelength = 337 nm

and yes, with pure n2 power doubles or more ....

There are ways to get n2 cheaply, old medical oxygen machines come to mind, O2 goes out one end, n2 , argon, and everything else the other. line voltage goes in too. Noise comes out too...

I had friends that use medical o2 machines for their glassblowing torch oxygen. Said friend passed :-(

I dont know how it is in Europa, but over here a decent tank of n2 is 16$.

lower pressure N2 lasers do better with air, but then you need a pump.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGus View Post
    What is he using for dye? I was watching without sound, if he mentioned it. Also, is the n2 really necessary? How much power would one gain using n2 over just air? Air is around 80% n2 to begin with, right?

I would absolutely love to start a project like this. Could one use a 3kV hene supply or does this require neon sign transformer power levels? I've always wanted to build a tea nitrogen laser... Maybe it's time to start!! I'm just wondering how he got blue... I've heard of using laundry detergets but I really have no clue if they actually work.

detergents and and plasticizers (used to make tubing flex) are dyes worst enemy.

If you can get the laudry bluing and whitener in a bottle, you stand a chance.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    He's using a coumarin dye. More specifically, 4-methylumbelliferone.
    now I realize that I must really look like an idiot... coumarin dye was right in the title above the video!! I was watching on my iPhone at work so I couldn't see the title or any of that.

now I realize that I must really look like an idiot... coumarin dye was right in the title above the video!! I was watching on my iPhone at work so I couldn't see the title or any of that.
    4UMB was specified in the SCi AM AM SCI thing, so it was a honest mistake.

Perhaps , now that you can get cheap flashlamps from Electronic Goldmine, it is time to revisit lamp pumped dye as well.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    4UMB was specified in the SCi AM AM SCI thing, so it was a honest mistake.

Perhaps , now that you can get cheap flashlamps from Electronic Goldmine, it is time to revisit lamp pumped dye as well.

Steve
    I would love to try. Does flashlamp pumped dye work in the same way as the N2 pumped dye, in the sense that one doesn't really need any mirrors for it to lase? I would also love to experiment with trying to get some CW dye (even though I realize it'smore difficult by several orders of magnitude) operation using my 168 as a pump laser, or really make any sort of laser using an argon as a pump. That sort of thing fascinates me.

I would love to try. Does flashlamp pumped dye work in the same way as the N2 pumped dye, in the sense that one doesn't really need any mirrors for it to lase? I would also love to experiment with trying to get some CW dye (even though I realize it'smore difficult by several orders of magnitude) operation using my 168 as a pump laser, or really make any sort of laser using an argon as a pump. That sort of thing fascinates me.

FL dye likes mirrors.

CW dye makes messes.
    CR599s abound, costs more to ship then what you pay for them.mainly due to the 3" diameter solid invar rod the resonator is built on.

Steve

you can pump broad band multi mode but your results wont be as good as pumping with the other broad band mirrors (20-9 & 610-1) 4880 single mode will give the best but BBSM is ok to0. FInd a complete 599 with circulator or 375 with a circulator and you are on line with tunable yellows through reds. very easy, a bit messy but if you get a good nozzle you are golden.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.