Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Rhodamine 6g & 532nm

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Excellent -- even if they only reach into the green, they'll cover enough of what I have in mind. The problem is that because they're going into a CR-599 I need HR mirrors with 7.5cm RoC. That's just going to be a bear. If I had a complete machine shop here I could probably build tiny lens mounts and use flat mirrors; but that would probably screw up the astigmatism and the dispersion. Besides, I don't have a machine shop.

I have a Coherent RED-Yellow RING set, but that set I'd have to sell you, but the price would be dirt cheap. Another PM please.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Yes. But lets keep it public. This is interesting.
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood, I guess I thought in your post -

...but I don't have one. What about it dsli_jon?
    ...you were asking about sourcing a system for the KTP > dye + 445 concept, my bad...

You guys have fun, cya!...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Default 445nm Pumped Dye Laser

A little off topic but here is a 445nm pumped dye laser... it's in German though...

http://forum.mosfetkiller.de/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6371

Quote Originally Posted by hologeek View Post
    A little off topic but here is a 445nm pumped dye laser... it's in German though...

http://forum.mosfetkiller.de/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6371

After running that through Google translate, I get the results line translated as:

"I did not get the dye laser emission."

Steve

dsli_jon,
    I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. I do intend to pursue the high PRF flash lamp driven dye head I already own as it could be an interesting source of lots of orange-red light. Over the last few days I've accumulated most of the plumbing and all of the electrical components. The Vashio for my projector is on its way back to China for repairs and so I have some time on my hands. My interest in the KTP is that it would be an alternative method ( and probably a better one ) for driving a dye for a high quality red region laser. What the heck, you've already done this, right? But, as I was saying before I wanted to keep this public because it invites interesting as well as practical ideas such as oscillator/amplifier systems. And I hoped that with more experience in this area you would add a lot.

The 445 diodes that I own when combined at 20 W will melt steel. The spot size is very small, significantly less than 1mm (its so bright and hot that don't know how to measure it). With better optics, better alignment, more diodes and cleaver dye management, lasing might happen, but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort other than as a novelty. I think a compact Q-switched green would be easier and cheaper. But, why pump dye? The 445 is an end in its self and as you said a compliment to existing green and dye based red. So don't go away. What do you think we should do?

You measure the spot size by scanning a 1 or maybe 2 uM pinhole across the beam on a micrometer stage, and mapping the transfer function using a power meter and graph paper. You have to do this for each axis.

You then choose whose beam diameter convention and 1/e^2 points you wish to choose. As your beam is multimode, multidiode and has roughly the pedigree of a dog chewed barbie doll, it is perhaps best to just publish the raw data.
    This is because the math is difficult for multi order beams and even the guys who wrote the books do not agree on how to treat them.

Melting steel is impressive!

(Sorry, could not resist choosing that line, nothing personal, high power blue diodes are just that way.)

Laser Drilled Pinholes come from Bird Precision, as well as other places. But I like Bird, rather then "choice import" type places.

You need to be about less then 50 microns or so, ( Argon is less then 20, Ballpark) to pump the dye.

I use a bare ccd camera for beam profiling, but considering you have far more then 5 mW even at idle, you'd burn the CCD, and OD5 attenuation is hard to make at home.

The next step is to passive or active Qswitch some green, be it a motorized Q-Switch, a Cr doped Yag crystal placed intracavity, or AO/EO.

I know where a intact laserscope DYE HEAD is right now. He wants to sell it.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-01-2011 at 16:03.

dsli_jon,
    Fair enough,I know quite well the struggles of trying to run a small business and so I fully support your position. And so I wish you only the best luck. Why not go ahead and PM me about the systems you could sell
    mixedgas,
    Regarding spot size, the other degree of freedom is the exact position of focus and so several runs at varying distances from the focus lens would be necessary. Also, to protect the pin hole ( I've ruined a number of razorblades) a low OD pre-filter might be a good idea. But, as I said before I'm not that enthusiastic about walking down this path because as you said and I agree, I'm dealing with a pigs ear.
    The DYE HEAD sounds interesting-PM me. Any clue on a LS Q-switched green??

Fair enough, ...and so I fully support your position.
    Honestly, because so much of this info is already 'out in the wild', it's not so-much about trying to capture $$, but more about the proportion of time spent, here, vs time-spent needing to keeping the oven stoked.. and also, doling the 'tricker-stuff' out to only-those that have already demonstrated the capacity to use it 'properly', such as yourself... Anyhoo, I repeat-myself... :P

...Why not go ahead and PM me about the systems...
    Any clue on a LS Q-switched green??
    Incoming.

j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

@Hologeek (Link to German posting about an attempt to pump a CW R6G laser with a 445 nm laser diode) --

Hi. That's a cool set of posts. I was happy to see that it mentions Alfonso Torres Rodriguez, who builds really fine machines.

I think I can see 2 or 3 good reasons why the German guy failed to get his laser to reach threshold:

1) Wrong pump wavelength. (He figured that out.)

2) Spot size. (I don't think he says anything about that, but it has been mentioned here several times.)

3) Lousy dye cell. (The dye is in contact with walls and windows throughout, and the dye ribbon is too thick. I don't see any way he could possibly get enough dye velocity in that cell, and he also says that at 11 bars pressure it blew one of its hoses off.)

Still, it's interesting that people are trying this. Many thanks for the link!

Cheers --
    jon

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Excellent -- even if they only reach into the green, they'll cover enough of what I have in mind. The problem is that because they're going into a CR-599 I need HR mirrors with 7.5cm RoC. That's just going to be a bear. If I had a complete machine shop here I could probably build tiny lens mounts and use flat mirrors; but that would probably screw up the astigmatism and the dispersion. Besides, I don't have a machine shop.

I have a Coherent RED-Yellow RING set, but that set I'd have to sell you, but the price would be dirt cheap. Another PM please.

Steve
    Steve, Do You have any part#'s at hand for the CR-599 mirrors ?
    I have a box pencil-marked "Coherent dye" and it houses two 1/2 inch optics, blue in transmission (like krypton optics) marked 787-07A| 09291, and one smaller 7.75mm dia: (alpha) a9275-01, magenta in transmission (like argon optic), all having approx r.o.c. 7cm. Lemme know if You'd like to use them

Piotr.K