Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PL Code of Ethics

An age old debate indeed, that would have easily faded into ancient history were it not for a very late in the game blatant reminder.

This reminder is not a single post that would eventually get buried. It's right there under my name on every post I make on this forum.

I made no assumptions. I asked the admin very nicely to please change my forum status to read Senior Member like anyone else might have; nothing special.

It could have happened in total silence and there would have been no issue.

Much like the age old debate about the ILDA file spec that never got resolved....

I'm asking is why.

If you're going to do something out of the ordinary that directly effects another person, and that person asks why, don't you think that deserves an answer?

Isn't that a responsible thing to do?
    Last edited by james; 10-16-2013 at 09:42.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I'm not sure of the circumstances of your situation James but on the subject of the ongoing 'disputes' regarding software and dac choice I think the issue is not the subject matter but something else.

As I mentioned in the 'unmarried programmer' thread, software should sell itself, or it's happy, passionate or creative customers should sell it (I bought LSX in DrLava's complete absence from the forum since I joined).

Most of the arguments seem to come about when developers blow their own trumpets. I fully understand why they do it, don't get me wrong, I've had several businesses and did it myself - just not on web forums. They are special places where bigging oneself up never-ever goes down well with the community.

I personally think that trying hard to sell yourself or your product through justification in a forum is more akin to self flagellation than self promotion. And people will always jump on your back to give drag you down once you start.

Keith
    Last edited by Galvonaut; 10-17-2013 at 04:53.

9.3.0 No pissing in the pool
    9.3.1 There is no rule 9.3.1
    9.3.2 I drink therefore I am
    9.3.3 No pooftas!
    This space for rent.

James, clearly the words under your name are very funny. I smile every time I read them. I have no idea, nor intention to find out why they exist. You are here, posting, despite what the words say. I smile even more every time you post a thread asking why they still exist under your name, and I suspect it is for this very reason why they still exist.
    They have [probably] never been removed because they fall off the radar of 'Minor Things to Do on the Forum', and every time you raise the question as to why they still exist, I expect it reminds the janitor why he might want to leave them there just a little bit longer....
    Roll with it, I've had all sorts of things under my name on other forums, they don't really mean much. (unless it says 'Admin' of course...)

Oh and Galvonaut, I'm of the mind that no developer should big themselves up on any forum, if only because they lack perspective (despite what they may think). The users (on a 'user' forum) should be doing the talking, and be free to criticise where appropriate.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    9.3.3 No pooftas!
    Right, Bruce! I had NO idea that Python had propagated to snake country.. I am also surprised (and gratified) no-one's quoted Fight Club yet so in mentioning it I shall bring myself regret. Not that rule 3.2.0 is a million miles away from doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    9.3.3 No pooftas!
    Uhh, according to British Slang, I'm technically a pooftah (or poofter, says the dictionary). Perhaps we can change that rule so I can still post? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Oh and Galvonaut, I'm of the mind that no developer should big themselves up on any forum, if only because they lack perspective (despite what they may think). The users (on a 'user' forum) should be doing the talking, and be free to criticise where appropriate.
    Well put. See: Swamidog

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i deny everything!

Quote Originally Posted by lulighttec View Post

Well put. See: Swamidog
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by lulighttec View Post
    Uhh, according to British Slang, I'm technically a pooftah (or poofter, says the dictionary). Perhaps we can change that rule so I can still post? :-)
    Ditto.

Not everything is universally funny.

Empathy is a rare and admirable trait.

True enough that dralva doesn't spend much time on this forum talking about his wares. He's also regularly slammed for very bad customer service and a total lack of communications.

That is not meant to reflect my opinion of him in any way. It's just the truth.

THe problem is that these "rules" obviously do not apply the same to everyone on this forum.
    Last edited by james; 10-17-2013 at 08:39.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    ...Not everything is universally funny....
    Yes it is.

The "problem" is that Dickheads (and you may categorize yourself in this way if you wish) start to take the piss.
    And eventually they get slapped down (I categorize yourself in this case).

It appears that Admin has been lenient in letting you back into the fold but now you are once more starting to take the piss.

Maybe it won't be long before you are banned once more and can then wear your "Martyr" Badge again.

Or just STFU and be "normal" (in a Laser Forum kind of way and not taking dick up the arse kind of way) and let peace prevail .....

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Yes it is.

The "problem" is that Dickheads (and you may categorize yourself in this way if you wish) start to take the piss.
    And eventually they get slapped down (I categorize yourself in this case).

It appears that Admin has been lenient in letting you back into the fold but now you are once more starting to take the piss.

Maybe it won't be long before you are banned once more and can then wear your "Martyr" Badge again.

Or just STFU and be "normal" (in a Laser Forum kind of way and not taking dick up the arse kind of way) and let peace prevail .....

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people here do not share your opinion and would rather not see this forum become a hostile place for anyone.

What you write is a reflection of YOURSELF, just as this "issue" is a reflection of the admin.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials