Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do all fog machines stink

Quote Originally Posted by Docjohn View Post
    What fluid do you use in yours? Also is the unit any good with graphics or just beams?

john
    I use original Antari HZ hazer fluid, this is mineral based oil fluid.

With good hazer beams will also go much much further, with thick smoke the power of the beam is higly reduced.

I rented a couple of DF50 hazers for a large show I was doing a couple years ago and since I couldn't return them until the following Monday, I set them up in my garage with the doors closed for a few minutes.

Let me just say that when I opened the door, I couldn't see my fluorescent lights on the garage ceiling through the cloud.

I need to buy one of those things one of these days!

They easily hazed two 30,000 sq. ft. exhibit halls at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland. It's amazing what two 35 pound hazers can do. (and only using ~2 oz. of fluid/hour each!)

-Jonathan

Yeah, DF-50's are efficient, but have you priced one lately? They're like 3 grand a piece!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Yeah, DF-50's are efficient, but have you priced one lately? They're like 3 grand a piece!

Adam
    Efficiency is one part, another is the quality of the haze, but yeah, very expensive!

I rent them for about $115 when I have a large laser show to do.

-Jonathan

Don't you wonder why these things cost so much? I really wish I would have snapped a few pics of the internals of mine when I had it all apart
    90% of it was a motor and air pump. There was a control board to turn the motor on & off. The main air line coming off the air pump was hooked up to a metal object which in turn had 3 smaller fish pump sized tubes hooked to it, whose open ends were fixed to the bottom of the fluid reservoir. I imagine these were sucker/feed lines, and that the metal object they were attached to acted like a carburetor of sorts- but that is just my best guess.
    The fluid reservoir was sealed, and the haze exit port was blocked first by a coarse screen, then by a fibrous air filter element. That's it!
    -Mike

Hey Doc,

This thread is super old but after a couple bad experiences with trying out different fog juices I found a local company near Seattle called CITC FX. I tried out their fog and am pretty impressed that it doesn't leave a bad smell.

Their gallons are under 20 bucks and I have used it at two clubs with no complaints. It has a good displacement too. I have the Chauvet hurricane (already broke down once) but when it works it kicks but spreading out the fog. Chauvets power ratings was a bit off. If you do a search on your machine you will see state their power output but that's not what we paid for

Anyways. I going to try Froggy's Swamp juice next and see how it works. I hear nothing but good things from them.

Cheers,
    Matt

Well one of the bands I worked with, their (oh-so-precious) vocalists got really arsey about the smell of the smoke. Not what you'd expect from a Pink Floyd tribute, really. Worse, they hired a saxophonist who complained "it was too dark and smokey to read the music". And finally, to cap it all, they complained that the smoke machine was too noisy. Now - aside from the gigs being one big whinge-fest - they weren't wrong about the noise. Hazers just rumble on, but I could really use a DMX controllable smoke machine that doesn't go TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHUP when you switch it on.

Update to fog trial and error.

So I love CITC FX fog juice but ran my first laser show with this juice and it has no hang time. We had to keep vents on during the event so any fog we pumped out would last literally 1 minuet and then get sucked right up. This juice creates a light smoke and moves around very fast but just couldn't hang around enough. There is no smell either and I had no complaints about it. When we tested the juice out without ventalation it seemed to disperse well but was not very think. The hang time was about 5 mins.

I would use this fog juice if there was no ventilation but that is usually not the case in clubs.

After the show I was pissed about this CITC fog and when I got home I had a gallon of Froggy Fog Swamp juice sitting on my porch (thanks Fed Ex for the late delivery) lol.

I just switched it out today and ran it through my Chauvet Hurricane 1250 outside. It filled the parking lot with smooth long hanging smoke that hung out in our parking lot of our apartments for a couple minuets. It also has no smell. If this Swamp juice can hang outside like that I can't wait to see what it does in a venue.

Thanks all for suggesting Froggy Fog. For the extra price I think this is by far the best bang for your buck.