Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Official® Lumina Comparison Thread

4 more added on the first post.

Actually, from now on just check the first post in the thread.

I have to add about 8-12 more from the sample kit.

Enjoy

Hey guys and cat, funny that this thread should be brought up, either today or later this week, I'll be adding lumia wheels to my website. They will be glass 4" circular wheels, with or without holes in the middle. To start, they will be the granite type, though more types, sizes and configurations may be added. Stay tuned!

PS- Isn't a Lumina actually a mid-sized American sedan?

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I'll be adding lumia wheels to my website. They will be glass 4" circular wheels, with or without holes in the middle. To start, they will be the granite type, though more types, sizes and configurations may be added. Stay tuned!
    Once you have them onsite, list them here in this thread (or send me the links and i will update the first post.). This was meant to be a comparison and where-to-get thread and not so much me selling lumi(n)a.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Hey guys and cat, funny that this thread should be brought up, either today or later this week, I'll be adding lumia wheels to my website. They will be glass 4" circular wheels, with or without holes in the middle. To start, they will be the granite type, though more types, sizes and configurations may be added. Stay tuned!

Planning on selling any "complete kits" with motors?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Here's a first generation Lumina from 1990:

Now Compare that to a 2001 SS:

/obligatory

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    OK.

Welcome to the Official® comparison thread. I figured this may be helpful without having to buy lots of glass that doesn't work so well. So kind of like a review thread with where-to-get-it information.

SO.

If you sell lumina wheels, write them up here.
    If you found the best (or worst) glass ever, write it up here.

I'll start off. Bought the sample kit shown in this post. As time allows (and i get the stuff cut and drilled) will edit this post to add all of the suitable ones.

Glass name: Bubbles
    VIDEO

Glass name: Granite
    VIDEO

Glass name: Crystal Ice
    VIDEO

Glass name: Moss
    VIDEO

Glass name: DewDrop
    VIDEO

This is DewDrop rotating on the wheel with CrystalIce stationary in front of it. I like this alot.
    VIDEO

DZ will be adding lumia Wheels soon.
    VIDEO

Hopefully this will be helpful to some folks.
    A few tricks from the bad old days. Take one of the mild textures like "Seville (Wissmach)" and place it in a stationary holder after the rotating "granite" wheel. (About a 1/2 inch - experiment to taste.) It makes the pattern much more complex. Richard used to cast a lot of our effect wheels and stand offs after finding patterns that he liked. (Discovering a broken effect wheel in the middle of a show blows.) Many glass patterns have texture on one side and even internal structure that detracts from the dominant effect. Casting allows you to take the part you want and leave the rest. Another nice stationary stand off is a piece of plexiglass with about a 1/2 inch deep dimple pressed into the center - it produces something like a ring nebula. Lumia effects can be vastly improved by not having the different color beams superimposed. If the colors are spread out in a line that's radial to the effect wheel the patterns produced don't have that tape delay feel to them. Another nice effect from way back when was done with airplane cement "artistically" smeared on clear plexiglas. Oh and the diffraction tape that's sometimes used for auto detailing (affectionately refered to as a LaBamba wheel) is a nice reflected effect. Crinkled up aluminized mylar is another nice reflected effect.

Default What's wrong with selling?

Mophead,
    What's wrong with selling something that people need and like myself can't build one. I'm sure on the forum there's more than enough business for you and DZ. I saw the videos of both, as always I am amazed. For me it would make a good gift to by a certain guy I know.......Cat

Once you have them onsite, list them here in this thread (or send me the links and i will update the first post.). This was meant to be a comparison and where-to-get thread and not so much me selling lumi(n)a.

OK,

I'll do kits if there is a need. I wasn't trying to step on DZ's toes, but it may benifit both of us.

Give me a week and I'll get it going.--have to plan and aquire materials.

Count me in for kits.......

Default I don't think anybody........

Nobody is stepping on any one's toes that I can see. Some people just don't have time to build the things. Personally, I don't know how involved they are to build. I pray success for both you and DZ. Seriously, when you finish your kits, please PM me. Cat

OK,

I'll do kits if there is a need. I wasn't trying to step on DZ's toes, but it may benifit both of us.

Give me a week and I'll get it going.--have to plan and aquire materials.

Count me in for kits.......