Thread: 100mw Green DPSS Help.

Default 100mw Green DPSS Help.

Hey this is my 100mw Green DPSS Laser Module i will be starting out with. I dont know much about Lasers etc, but i bought this one on Ebay about 2 years ago from a guy who runs a company called Asymptech. What i want to know is how would you connect this one up for Blanking? When you plug it in it takes a few seconds for the module to power up and come on.

I can see a TTL input to the lower LHS of that pcb. I assume you toggle that with 0/5v to turn the laser off/on.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by madgadget View Post
    I can see a TTL input to the lower LHS of that pcb. I assume you toggle that with 0/5v to turn the laser off/on.

He has the type of TTL that is "Pull down to blank", so he needs a real TTL signal to drive it.

Simple test, short across the red to the black on the blanking input once the laser is on with a small piece of wire, The laser should wink out. It wont hurt it to do this test. This should be a sticky, but TTL logic can both source or sink current, and you need a "sink" to blank. In this case the black wire on the blanking input goes to signal ground on the show controller and the red wire goes to the color signal. Some place around 1.6V the laser will blank, and some placed around 2.4V it will unblank (those are the standard Transistor Transistor Logic signal levels) , so you may need to invert your blanking in software.

The Chinese do it this way so they dont get dozens of lasers shipped back to them as dead.

Steve

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Yeah iv'e just tried the shorting out thingie. It did work, i put a piece of wire on the blanking terminals and the other LED lit up Red and the laser went out then came back on again after a few seconds. Next step is buy Easylase USB and Mamba, with some 30k Galvos.