Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Focusing Cmount Diode

I'm gonna go ahead and post what I posted in the other forum here:

To be fair here, I have never bought a loose laser diode from any small distributor that had any sort of a warranty. Most sellers DO NOT warrant laser diodes at all because they are so sensitive and you just never know what skills the person who bought them has. One should never assume there is a warranty on laser diodes. Unless it is specifically stated otherwise, there is no warranty and with good reason.

FROM POTATORAGE: The diode was never up to spec. 600mW @ 2A compared to advertised 1W @ 1.1A and 2W max is not ok. It isn't even close to what was advertised. In fact, it was less than 1/3rd of the advertised power.
    ^I get what you're saying, and I understand but no warranty means no warranty. I am not endorsing or supporting Chris here, I'm just telling you how it is everywhere else as well.. To make sure I'm being very clear here, I am referring to loose laser diodes only. There are pretty much always warranties available on new complete laser systems. (You may be able to get a warranty on laser diodes if you buy directly from Coherent, Melles-Griot, or some other mainstream manufacturer, but you're going to pay a premium for this. They assume that anyone who would drop mega $$ on a diode from them knows how to properly treat them since they most likely have a college degree in the subject..)

I know there is tons of bad info about Chris and some good too.. All past history of the seller aside, there are lots of other ways to kill a laser diode. For future reference DO NOT expect ANY warranty on loose laser diodes unless it is specifically stated in advance. No one is questioning your intelligence. Sometimes lessons get learned the hard way. If you are unhappy with your experience with Chris, then don't buy from him. You can't fault him in this case since he is right on par for small laser distributors.
    Last edited by ElektroFreak; 07-13-2009 at 15:03. Reason: spelling