Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ILDA joystick

Quote Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
    I need something that fits in line between the output from the DAC and the input to the projector, so that I can manually override the position of any part of a show
    I see, I misunderstood your request. In my mind, it makes more sense to do this with software if possible (i.e. MIDI or DMX connected joystick, rather than interfering with the ILDA signals).

Of course it is possible to do it with hardware too, though I haven't done it before so I don't have any design to share. I too am looking forwards to see the design by laserist!

Best regards,

weartronics

The input stage converts the ILDA X,Y signal to single ended +/-10 signals and feeds a dual potentiometer for ILDA image gain. Replaced schematic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	INPUT STAGE1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	8400

The joystick stage has a voltage followers (to minimize wiper noise) driving a 10k pots for size adjustment into a summing amp the 50k trim pots allow offset (centering) adjustment of the joystick. Dual 10k potentioments on the output for joystick gain. Oh, the zeners are 10V. Feel free to add bypass caps etc.

Name:	JOYSTICK STAGE.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	8387

The output stage sums the SeX, JsX and SeY, JsY signals and devides by two - the signal is inverted at this point so output to the -X, -Y ILDA pins. The second set of op amps inverts the signal at unity gain and supplies the X,Y signals

Name:	OUTPUT STAGE.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	8386

Have fun don't hesitate to point out errors and/or pose questions...

Brian
    Last edited by laserist; 07-15-2009 at 04:43. Reason: error in schematic

Looks good, I'll get some components on order in the morning and look forward to trying it out - many thanks.

I was going to ask you to explain a bit more about 'bypass caps' - but then found this http://www.seattlerobotics.org/Encod...97/basics.html
    - so I'll just add a 0.1 uF ceramic onto each +15 and -15 where it connects to the op-amps.
    Last edited by greenalien; 07-15-2009 at 03:31. Reason: Request for more info

The input stage in my previous stage would only work with a common ground - this one is better...

Name:	INPUT STAGE1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	8399

Thumbs up

Hi Guys,

I don't want to spoil this thread, but there is much much easier solution for this task!

On Ebay you can find old game joysticks for less than $5.
    They have an old RS232 or PS2 plug, so connecting to your pc is not the problem.
    On internet there are a lot of FREE apps that can convert normal joystick signals into MIDI signals. Assign these MIDI signals to functions in LivePro or Mamba and your setup is ready to use! No boards, no extra cables.

Dixi.

Dixiscan - see post #3 in this thread...

Hihi,

I have read all posts, but can't see the advantages of a joystick connected -between- the interface and the laser or directly to the software. The result is the same: the joystick will move your image and overrides the current frame settings.
    It even works with Popelscan!

Advantages - no need for usb connection or midi device; no signal processing delay - and also it's an interesting project! Implementing a joystick via Midi can overload the midi device giving a glitchy output; I've also known midi devices to crash software totally...

Furthermore, in Mamba, the Midi control only works in the 'Live Player' part of the software, so if you want to play back a recorded show and move it around, you can only do this with an ilda-connected device.

Quote Originally Posted by DixiScan View Post
    Hi Guys,

I don't want to spoil this thread, but there is much much easier solution for this task!

On Ebay you can find old game joysticks for less than $5.
    They have an old RS232 or PS2 plug, so connecting to your pc is not the problem.
    On internet there are a lot of FREE apps that can convert normal joystick signals into MIDI signals. Assign these MIDI signals to functions in LivePro or Mamba and your setup is ready to use! No boards, no extra cables.

Dixi.
    Computers do make things easy. They become ubiquitous and can and do fill every niche. Well almost every niche - but still you can do amazing things - but not always better or as quickly as with other approaches. Can you do anything I might care to imagine with a suitable computer - almost certainly - can you step up without prep time - live as the music starts and keep up with someone using dedicated hardware - not unless you've got dedicated software and hardware too. I like computers and I like software, but I like hardware too.

In Laserium I there was a number called "Tank" by Emerson Lake and Palmer. Joystick and three scan glasses. No imagery, some chopper, and a tiny amount of color modulation marking the changeover from drum solo to synthesizer. I guess I just can't explain to you how much fun it was to actually perform the number… Well I did hear about a guy who did a performance that was described as "septic tank"...

Hihi,
    I was talking about a setup without any midi device or usb; only a virtual midi application that reads the input signals and redirect them as midi notes within any delay that can be noticed.
    But I'm a hardware guy as well, so I encourage this interesting project!

I think also that a standard joystick will not do the job, because its spring loaded and will jump to the centre position after release the stick?

Please post some vids when its finished.
    I'm working on a simular (hardware) project that will use a Nintendo Wii remote control instead of a joystick to change your laser image here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7964