Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cleaning coated optics

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    Not suggesting using it, but have any of you heard of or tried some stuff that your pour on a piece of cheese cloth that's on top of the optics and then lift it off after awhile? I think people use it or used it at one time for cleaning big telescope mirrors and things like that. I think it starts with "co". Sounds like it works sort of like the first contact stuff but its cheap. I used to have a link but lost it.
    Collodian. Does not work as well as the first contact material, is cheap, used for putting ECG electrodes on people's heads, but has some side uses that preclude its sale to the general public.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Are all chromatography detectors usable for this or is a specific sensitivity interval ideal?

Default In the old days...we did this

I agree with mixedgas' response earlier in this thread as it is precisely what Coherent Radiation taught me on how best to clean the Brewster windows and/or front and rear dichro laser mirrors on their CR-MG and CR-K ion lasers during 1978-83.

I had purchased a gallon of spectral grade Acetone and spectral grade Methanol for this purpose in '78, transferring a small amount as needed into dark brown glass eyedropper bottles (with eyedroppers only used with the bottles during cleaning operations). Kodak lens cleaning papers were used with these cleaning agents. A lens tissue was held in one hand, slightly cupped down its length and the tissue's mid-point lightly placed on the optic surface to be cleaned. First, a single drop of Acetone was expelled by the eyedropper onto the tissue resting on the optic, then the tissue was gently dragged off and away from the optic face (Brewster window or barrel dichro mirror). On rare occasions this wipe might be done with Acetone more than once. Then the same procedure was repeated using Methanol for the final wipes. The Methanol wipe was always repeated at least 2-3 times. In both cases, since the lens tissue was wetted on the small surface area of maybe a .25 sq. in., as the lens tissue was slid off and away from the surface it soaked up any residual cleaning agent and optical annoyances, leaving a clean, dry surface.

A gallon each of these cleansers has lasted a lifetime, as these bottles are not yet empty.