Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM stage organization

Post SELEM stage organization

I wanted to bring this up a month or so ago and kept forgetting. Now after making a few shows I think it is more important that we get a bit more organized than we have been. I am not talking a full script or anything, just a general idea of where we might like to have what on stage. Maybe a map of the stage and "x" is so and so's projector that we will set up as scanner 1, or 5 or whatever... Not that I don't want to have a... what did our illustirous Janitor say on the way to Pizza Hut last year, a "clusterfuck" of lasers; Steve's thread on choreography made me think of last year's SELEM moment when I yelled from the balcony "we need to get organized"... Well this is me trying to get us to get organized.

I am about to go through my shows and save a multi scanner version of each. This brings up the thought, "where are our projectors going to be at SELEM"? Then, "How many projectors are going to be there?" I was fairly conservative on the # of tracks used along with the number of scenes, so editing them at SELEM won't be too bad, but I would like to get them saved well the first time. I am aiming at 3, 5, or 7, and mirroring half the tracks to the odd # scanners, and the other half to the even and have all of them on scanner 1. (Pango snob talk here) I would almost say everyone, with Pangolin, should pick a few of their favorite shows, list which one you are doing here, and do the same. Hopefully Steve will have a nice ILDA splitter for us also so we can see a bit of choreography from other systems. My goal for this year is to see 5 or 7 RGBs doing different parts of the same show, and set up and a semi-symetrical "display".

Let the debate begin!
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 07-21-2009 at 18:22.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I second all of that! I was hoping... (If I can make it ) That someone will just LAN up to my QM-2000 so I can concentrate on filming versus,, 3-2-1 Click! I also like this idea of running parts of the show on multiple projectors. I hear this turned out well at FLEM 6 and want to see it for myself. Also, I hope someone studied up on LivePRO and is able to get a good groove going on like 4-8 projectors at once! That would be awesome!

With all that said..... I call center stage!!!!!!!!

Well... I guess to start the count I'm bringing one (1) projector this year... that leaves more improvement room for next year.

Also, the whole 3,2,1 click business is really... 20th century! We are sure to have a router with a nice big switch (I can help with that) and wireless... no clue about internet though.

About the .NET, I can hook it up to my projector if you're interested

Lastly, with regards to positions assignments (and since you called center stage), I call the rest of the stage!

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Quote Originally Posted by daedal View Post
    Also, the whole 3,2,1 click business is really... 20th century! We are sure to have a router with a nice big switch (I can help with that) and wireless... no clue about internet though.

--DDL
    I just realized how pangoed I must have been while I wrote that! So, for those with Pangolin, networking is the best option. For all others (and to watch shows from other systems) we will need an ILDA splitter

My plan for getting one commercially flopped (mucho dinero)... so we're back to the DIY route

--DDL

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by daedal View Post
    I just realized how pangoed I must have been while I wrote that! So, for those with Pangolin, networking is the best option. For all others (and to watch shows from other systems) we will need an ILDA splitter

My plan for getting one commercially flopped (mucho dinero)... so we're back to the DIY route

--DDL
    I preached about this last year.
    OK. we need scaffolding. And we need the polarity and image size set on the X axis in a artistic way for each projector, and a good graphics projector.

we may wish to "fly" one or more projectors, or switch some off.

ILDA splitter is not a problem, having every one on common power and common ground with tested outlets, thats going to be interesting.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Cool

Scaffold is going to be a lot of work, and it will cut into our limited setup and tear-down time. Plus I don't know anyone that has any.

The venue does have plenty of tables, and I think we've got plenty of space across the stage to position the projectors - we just need to be a little more deliberate about where we put them.

I agree that Aaron's projector ought to be center stage. After all, it will be one of the brightest full-color projectors at the event. We can position the rest of the RGB units to the far left and right, and then put the monochrome projectors between those and the center.

I think that as long as we have more or less equal coverage across the front of the stage we'll be fine. Also, DZ should be bringing Spec's huge switch from last year. (The one with 90-something ports on it.) So as long as someone brings a wireless router, we'll be fine. We'll do the same thing we did last year... Run a long drop from Reggie's office to the lobby, where we'll put the wireless router, and then a drop from the router to the massive switch on-stage. Everyone needs to bring a long ethernet cable with them. (Figure 50 ft.)

Sorry for the late reply guys... I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately.

Adam

Wink

Yes Adam... I am very disappointed; I posted this thread what... just over 9 hours ago... Slaquer!

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    DZ should be bringing Spec's huge switch from last year. (The one with 90-something ports on it.)
    I can live with that No need for me to bring anything

So as long as someone brings a wireless router, we'll be fine. We'll do the same thing we did last year... Run a long drop from Reggie's office to the lobby, where we'll put the wireless router, and then a drop from the router to the massive switch on-stage.
    I can handle that if Aaron doesn't bring his router... I've got s couple spares with DD-WRT

Everyone needs to bring a long ethernet cable with them. (Figure 50 ft.)
    Hmm... that should be fun! I'll just make mine then... anyone want one? We can chip in and buy a whole box (much cheaper)... I'll crimp the ends as I have the rest of the hardware handy

Sorry for the late reply guys... I've been feeling a bit under the weather lately.

Adam
    Hope you feel better soon Adam... SELEM is only a few weeks away, so GET WELL SOON

--DDL

[QUOTE=buffo;107455]Scaffold is going to be a lot of work, and it will cut into our limited setup and tear-down time. Plus I don't know anyone that has any.

Oh yea have little faith. Or ambition, choose one..

Scaff rental is cheap. I'm willing also to bet they have it at the venue
    Scaff rental lets us set up a better pattern on stage as not everyone brings one of those foldapole things.

And if I bring 88 plus diode or the 4 watt white light, we'll need it.

Why to I feel a need in my loins to blow that kvant out of the water.... or at least the fog?

That is, unless my boss makes me fly to selem, and he's thinkin about it.

Steve

[QUOTE=buffo;107455]Scaffold is going to be a lot of work, and it will cut into our limited setup and tear-down time. Plus I don't know anyone that has any.

Oh yea have little faith. Or ambition, choose one..

Scaff rental is cheap. I'm willing also to bet they have it at the venue. I've never met a scaff that I cant set in less then 5 minutes.

And if I bring 88 plus diode or the 4 watt white light, we'll need it.

That is, unless my boss makes me fly to selem, and he's thinkin about it.

Steve