Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Eye damage at Tomorrowland ?

Its seems obvious to me... thats in the WATTS range of audience scanning. And also looks like Jenlas beams (bright and tight)....

If Im not mistaken, Tomorrowland is outdoor? If so, that's gotta be 10's of watts..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

seriously irresponsible on the laser operator's part, curious to see if this was a pulsed or cw laser, if it is the Jenlas,, then its less than 10 watts, but PULSED,

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    seriously irresponsible on the laser operator's part, cant wait to find out if this was a pulsed or cw laser,
    You're presuming it was their fault. It could still have be an extraneous source in the crowd eg. an idiot with a high power laser pointer

Alternatively, if they were responsible, I doubt that given the apparent pedigrees of companies that might have been involved, that this wasn't a very carefully organised and planned event. In which case it could have been a simple mistake such as an error in programming the attenuation map in one part of the show or if live, the VJ accidentally turning the AM off momentarily by pressing the wrong button.

Maybe its time to make PASS compulsory for audience scanning at software or hardware level. I know no software incorporates PASS at the moment but I'm sure that will change in the future to provide a software solution. I'm sure also that a 100x MPE limit as proposed by ILDA in conjunction with a PASS system that allowed settings of MPE + MPE at up to 100X would also satisfy most people's needs whilst keeping audiences safe.

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    You're presuming it was their fault. It could still have be an extraneous source in the crowd eg. an idiot with a high power laser pointer

Alternatively, if they were responsible, I doubt that given the apparent pedigrees of companies that might have been involved, that this wasn't a very carefully organised and planned event. In which case it could have been a simple mistake such as an error in programming the attenuation map in one part of the show or if live, the VJ accidentally turning the AM off momentarily by pressing the wrong button.

Maybe its time to make PASS compulsory for audience scanning at software or hardware level. I know no software incorporates PASS at the moment but I'm sure that will change in the future to provide a software solution. I'm sure also that a 100x MPE limit as proposed by ILDA in conjunction with a PASS system that allowed settings of MPE + MPE at up to 100X would also satisfy most people's needs whilst keeping audiences safe.

Agreed 100% ,
    But, it is the laser operators fault , you see the lasers in the pictures are plainly obvious, that those are definately in the watts range, and way too bright for the desired effect anyways...

Default re

This comes back again to the debate of crowd scanning and iv been a victim of this. i dont like opening up old wounds but at an ID&T event that laser image (hugo) was the laser show operator on, i was filming his show which as i understand it was using 19-20 x 10watt green moving head lasers mounted on trussing all the way down the room.
    I filmed it just as there was a large flash of light and a direct hit from the laser and my ccd sensor on my camera packed in and went green.

Now im not trying to open up old wounds as i said cause i was contacted by a member of ILDA who resolved the whole issue between me and hugo (who i respect as one of the best laserist if not the best in the world) but its strange that 2 events now put on by ID&T presumably ran by hugo have had problems. just to clear things up ILDA reviewed the video i have and came to the conclusion that they didnt think the lasers were to blame for the problem and that it was the increase in light from crowd blinders but hugo still honoured that he was sorry and would get me some tickets for another laser show he was doing which was very good of him, seeing as i couldnt prove it i was happy with this.

im starting to wonder if maybe they have hired a new member of staff who doesnt have the same attitude to safety as the rest of the team, or maybe there is an error with his controllers, or possibly with one of the laser projectors.

To be perfectly honest i bet this ends up being some stupid idiot with a laser pointer and i hope it does cause its just bad publicity for laserists everywhere, its just a little strange.

I do hope its not the fault of laser image because it would be awful if laser image vanished from our industry due to something like this. hope u get it sorted hugo.

just a few points to mull over

cheers ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

In another news item also containing a movie (dutch only) there is a bit more information: http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...chter/1.574704

Interesting is that the girl said that it happened after she had seen a green flash from one of the tents. Now the pictures of mainstage show that all lasers all point to a hill.

so... the russian rave event where they were scanning the audience with pulsed lasers, was operated by the same people/ companies, that also did this event ?

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    so... the russian rave event where they were scanning the audience with pulsed lasers, was operated by the same people/ companies, that also did this event ?
    No, no connection.

..and if this event was done by one of Hugo's companies then your talking one of the safest and most respected companies in the business.

Also, you'd have to say its looking increasingly likely from the tent observation as if this was a high power pointer from one of the event goers.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    damn.
    I really hope this doesn't mean draconic laws here in Belgium. I don't want to spend days filling in a variance for each laser projector I build, and to adapt it when I modify something. I don't want to measure each and every frame with an expensive, qualified MPE-meter. I don't want to invest all my money into safety. I just want some cool shows.

There is one good thing: when our government has to form a law, they need ages. We still have some time.

They have one. IEC Standard 68325 or whatever it is, safety with lasers and other sources. recently harmonized world round, including here in the US.

All they have to do is enforce it.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...