Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SELEM was a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    who won what prizes?
    I won the scanpro 40's from LSP. I am not really used to winning anything like that. Funny thing is, I still have yet to find a use for the 30k's I bought 2 years ago. I do mainly beam shows but I am thinking about building me a color balanced 1watt rgb for graphics since I got the 40k's.

Cool

Sorry - forgot all about posting the results of the door prize drawings! Here they are:

Scan Pro 40 scanner set (from Dave and aijii at LaserShowParts.com) DreamBeamz
    Scan LSP 20 scanner set w/ DMX board (from Dave and aijii at LaserShowParts.com) Carmangary
    Laserwave Dichro kit w/ mounts (from Gottaluvlasers at CTLasers.com) Witcher88
    Laserwave PBS cube kit (from Gottaluvlasers at CTLasers.com) Ben Koss
    Laserwave RGB laser safety goggles (from Gottaluvlasers at CTLasers.com) 300Evil
    Laserwave RGB laser safety goggles (from Gottaluvlasers at CTLasers.com) Stuka
    Pair of 4 inch square diffraction gratings (from Gottaluvlasers at CTLasers.com) Daedal
    4 inch square bounce mirror w/ mount (from Gottaluvlasers at CTLasers.com) DZ
    4 inch square bounce mirror w/ mount (from Gottaluvlasers at CTLasers.com) Bob Dixon (attending in place of Cat)
    Dynascan 25 Mhz oscilloscope (from Buffo) Platinum
    CDRH-compliant keyswitch (from Mixed Gas) MechEng3
    CDRH-compliant keyswitch (from Mixed Gas) Dchammonds
    Manual Spectrometer (from DrLava) DocJohn

In addition, Mike Dunn from FirstLight Laser Productions sent us several CD's containing one of his newest Abstract laser shows for the Pangolin LD-2000 system. It's set to "Tom Sawyer", by Rush, and we debued it at SELEM 2009. (The show isn't even available for purchase on Mike's website yet.) Everyone who had the LD-2000 system got a copy of that show. This was Mike's way of apologizing for not being able to make it to SELEM. (Thanks Mike!)

As for pictures, would you believe I don't have a single pic from the event? I was so busy, I never had time to pick up a camera (despite the fact that I brought 3 with me, plus a video camera). But I'm sure several other folks have pics and/or video. I know that 300Evil shot so much video he started running out of tapes! It might take a while to get them all on-line though.

One final bit of information: This year after all the expenses were paid - including the cost of the shirts, the venue rental, the cost of the parts to repair the dimmer rack (which saved us money on the rent for the venue), and PayPal fees - we still had $204.85 left over. This sum was dontated to PhotonLexicon to help pay for hosting and bandwidth fees.

Oh yeah... I should mention that the theater troupe that was using the venue for their plays is moving to a new theater as of January, 2010. So that removed a lot of the events that used to clog up the booking calender, increasing the availability of this venue.

This is good because it means we can hold more meets there - even on different dates. It also means they will be hurting for money, at least for the next couple years, so with any luck the rental price will remain affordable for us. (Besides, they *really* like us!)

Adam

PS: If anyone won a prize and is unsure if they can use it or not, I suggest you contact other PL members and see if you can trade or sell the item. I'm sure you'll find someone here who is interested.

However, for those people who got a copy of the laser show from Mike Dunn - remember that you are not allowed to sell or transfer that show to anyone else. We're on the honor system here, but please respect Mike's request that the show not be sold or transferred.
    Last edited by buffo; 08-18-2009 at 01:14.

Dayam ... I need to get over to one of these events some time!

And wow, thats a huge donation to PL, I wonder if Admin has found it yet

But I agree with allthat, wheres the pics?

Phew..... Just got home 20 minutes ago and the effects of sleep deprivation are finally hitting me. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Scan Pro 40 scanner set (from Dave and aijii at LaserShowParts.com) DreamBeamz
    Scan Pro 20 scanner set w/ DMX board (from Dave and aijii LaserShowParts.com) Carmangary
    Nice work guys.

Eh, just to correct you Adam, these are not the SCANPRO scanners we sell, but another brand. We are calling these the SCANLSP20's, 30's and 40's
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Smile

Ah... You're right Dave. (That's what I get for posting after midnight!) Post has been corrected now.

Also, I have a mini-review of these scanners that I still need to post. I ran short of time and didn't get it all on-line before SELEM, but I should have time to finish everything later this week.

Adam

SELEM was indeed a blast. Although I still have a huge sleep deficit.

Thanks to everyone for everything no matter how large or small of a part that was played.

Sensory Overload.

I HAD A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I regret having to leave early on Sunday, but I had to work early on Monday. Next Year I will plan to stay Sunday night and leave Monday.

Adam,
    You are insane for trying to organize that whole event yourself. I'm glad to hear a committee will be formed for next year. That is too much for one person to handle. I don't know how you did it. Thank You.

Bill,
    Thank you for tuning my Turbo Track amp. My projector never looked so good.

Mo,
    The drive up would have seemed twice as long without a wingman. I mean that. WE WERE FLYING. I can't wait to have our own mini LEM now that my projector is done.

Doc John,
    Thanks for selling me the 532. I would have been dead in the water without it. The last thing I thought I would be doing is replacing a dead laser. Enjoy the HeNe, I hope it motivates some young people to learn more about lasers.

Mophead & Bill
    The food was great. Thank you for taking the time to make it and bring it all that way.

It was great meeting everyone.

SELEM was incredible this year.. Major SENSORY OVERLOAD trying to be everywhere and do everything. The ION whitelights blew me away.. I must own one now.

Adam, Thanks for all the dedication and hard work to pull this off.
    Steve, DZ and Bill B., You guys are ION Gods
    Thanks to everyone who brought toys FS, it made the swap meet a very successful part of SELEM.
    Thanks to James L. for the in-depth lesson on LaserBoy.. Cool software!
    Thanks to all the presenters and door prize contributers.
    Thanks to Mike Dunn for the new Rush show.
    And most of all, Thanks to everyone who came to SELEM. You guys and gals ROCK.

Mark

Well... where to start?

I guess let's get the bad feelings out of the way...
    1. It sux that something had gone missing!
    2. WE NEED MORE TIME FOR SHOWS... dammit... I honestly think my projectors got all of 15 minutes of run time...

Other than that... This event was a blast! I'm really glad I met everyone, and the items that I would have never crossed paths with otherwise. The whitelight gassers were sick! The one Pianoman has is absolutely PERFECT! (My garage needs one )

Thanx to all who attended and for all the lessons I got from mixedgas! You rock man!

That's why next year there will be a committee!
    Seeing how hectic, busy, and tiring this was, I would like to volunteer with as much as possible from now. Adam... You are NOT allowed to lift anything heavier than your own projector... end of story. I've seen you pull your back quite a few times this weekend...

Paul (Clandestiny) has talked about doing something outdoors for SELEM 2010, if we can schedule it on a weekend when he's available. If that works, he'd like to bring some very large guns (20 watts of white via a Kr / Ar pair, and maybe a CVL as well), assuming we can find a large enough spot on the building wall to projecto onto. But that's a long way away, and right now I don't even want to think about the logistics of it!

Adam
    Hmmm... 20W white-light, with a potential CVL appearance... yeppe... I'll be there

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Daedal, Sorry Man, we didnt need to bypass the key for the hecad. The keyswitch was in my pants pocket, I'll get it in the mail. Check the wavelength on that unit, some one who would know thinks it was NOT on the normal 442 line, and check the values on the sticker against the jacks on the side of the head. Repair the supply glitch, remind me to find the user manual in case you need to adjust the current and heaters, Then run and run and run to burn down the excess helium so the power goes back up, and enjoy......

Steve
    No problem at all Steve. With as much as you were doing, I would have forgotten to put on my pants all together! I'm still very happy that we managed to get that running at SELEM, and will be running it tonight that I'm finally getting back to 'awake' status...

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Adam and i have an agreement that when things get a little better with the fam, we will be planning another LEM. so, GET READY!!!

-Marc
    Another FLEM I hope

Pair of 4 inch square diffraction gratings (from Gottaluvlasers at CTLasers.com) Daedal
    THANK YOU!

Oh by the way... the raffle girls were a pretty nice feature

In addition, Mike Dunn from FirstLight Laser Productions sent us several CD's containing one of his newest Abstract laser shows for the Pangolin LD-2000 system. It's set to "Tom Sawyer", by Rush, and we debued it at SELEM 2009. (The show isn't even available for purchase on Mike's website yet.) Everyone who had the LD-2000 system got a copy of that show. This was Mike's way of apologizing for not being able to make it to SELEM. (Thanks Mike!)

Adam

However, for those people who got a copy of the laser show from Mike Dunn - remember that you are not allowed to sell or transfer that show to anyone else. We're on the honor system here, but please respect Mike's request that the show not be sold or transferred.
    Mike, thanx again for the EXCELLENT show. I absolutely loved it! Even William Benner had a hard time starting his presentation after the show... I will be browsing your selection to try and get a few more shows from you soon

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Mo,
    The drive up would have seemed twice as long without a wingman. I mean that. WE WERE FLYING. I can't wait to have our own mini LEM now that my projector is done.
    Likewise from me man... the trip up was fast, and exciting... It was absolutely priceless to have someone going with me the whole way door to door... We will have to arrange it better next time to be on the same schedule going up and down... On the way back I had DZ with me... but the last 2 hour stretch from his exit to mine was the hardest! I have no idea how you drove the whole way back all by yourself!

Thanx again to everyone that attended, brought cool toys, gave me priceless lessons, and helped make this the fantastic event that it was. The dinner at the Artist's Cafe is still the highlight of the weekend for me (even though I don't recall half of it all too well... )

See you all again soon;
    DDL

P.S. MechEng3 and Buffo... we gotta discuss some 'big' plans soon
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.