Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ILDA Compliant Projector Safety Board...

You've got my interest -

AFTER you get the SELEM DVD's produced!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    You've got my interest -

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Wow, a customized "I'm with..." smiley. What next?

Hey Adam, you should add in a feature that will turn your laser into an alarm clock so if you hit "snooze" too many times, it will start burning you here and there to get you out of bed. Of course, you'd need quite the robust optical feedback device to pull that off...

-Jonathan

Thanks for everyone's interests, comments and suggestions. I have recently come across an "idea" that has changed my original circuit in order to make this device even more beneficial, secure and all around awesome!
    It may take me an extra month or so to finish but the wait will be well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    I am interested in seeing something like this but after Steve has vetted it ... I would say having an option for just the board, and for a board + goodies kit. I say this because for my current build I have all of the extra parts but have not finished the circuit for the shutter driver interlock etc, so good timing I can hold off a bit to finish that stuff and focus on lasers and optics. Keep us informed of your progress, and price points!

-Adam
    Exactly, what I meant to convey is that I may include board + components with components being optional. And, yes, I will be having people check out this board to make sure it meets and/or exceeds safety standards by qualified people, Steve being on the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by daedal View Post
    So, why use a GM-20 as opposed to a spring-loaded Ledex solenoid (besides speed)? Just out of curiosity.

Also, wouldn't the galvo need to be 'told' to go back to an "off" position? The spring-loaded solenoid, in my opinion, is fast enough for a shutter, and also has a preset "off" position when no voltage is applied to it... Not to mention the price difference as well...

All the medical shutters I've seen have Ledex solenoids in them... or is something off here?

--DDL
    Yes, I was just using the GM20 as an "industry standard" example. I want to design the board to run many different solenoids with different impedance.

I have had something like this in my head for about 6 months; I have been nagging DZ to try and build an external "box" to house all the electronics that would basically plug into the back of any projector and just run a wire into the projector to signal the shutter once it is installed.
    You may be able to do this but I think the CDRH may want some components installed directly into the enclosure. I'll have to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    Now thats what im talkin about!
    this is a good step forward in making it easier to get your projectors certified.
    go 300EVIL!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! I think you all will be impressed as long as I can get past my financial troubles and move on to being productive.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Add a ramping driver for the shutter, ie has pull in and hold in current settings that are different. I'm tired of "cooking shutters.

make sure the button inputs/keyswitch inputs are buffered and thresholded, so you can remote your stop/start. Nothing that a current mode signal would not do, as opposed to a voltage mode signal, ie switches need to pass 10 ma to be valid. (CDRH likes current mode switching)

steve

Steve
    Just the kind of info I was looking for Steve! Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    One more request: in my opinion the projector must never start unless commanded to by the operator. That is, you have a 'run' button that will start/re-start the projector. If any interlock condition fails the projector, the projector will not re-start until the 'run' button is pressed. (Not all projector interlocks do this. For example, if someone yanks the ILDA cable out and then plugs it back in, most projectors will resume lasing and scanning with no operator action at all.)

Adam
    Adam, also a great suggestion! I will definitely implement this.

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    why not also include the sections, in the laser product report,filled out with the drawings/ circuit schematics, for these safety features.
    one less thing for the end user to worry about, when filling out the laser product report
    That was definitely in the plan. I will supply full schematics and outline of operation.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    I second the solenoid driver I have a couple sitting here I plan to use, spring-loaded and photo sensor fail safe... But if you have GM-20's it is your circuit!

-Adam
    I think I can fit an opto-interrupter fail-safe in there. Just remember, the cost is going up! Not by much I hope. I'm not really looking to majorly profit off of this however. I like the community effort thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    GM20s move at warp speed compared to a solenoid and they dont "clunk" out loud. Other then that, no difference, they both spring return.

Steve
    True that!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    You've got my interest -

That is definitely on the list of priorities, I'm hoping to get started on that in a few days.

Love the sign..... LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    Wow, a customized "I'm with..." smiley. What next?

Hey Adam, you should add in a feature that will turn your laser into an alarm clock so if you hit "snooze" too many times, it will start burning you here and there to get you out of bed. Of course, you'd need quite the robust optical feedback device to pull that off...

-Jonathan
    Yes, your projector woke me up from my drunken stupor when is laid a 3W static beam on my ankel. I so wish someone got that on video.

Reminds me of the time mom had a ferret. The damn thing used to come in my room, jump under the sheets and bight me right in the tender area of my thigh. That'll wake anyone up!

300evil Quote

Yes, your projector woke me up from my drunken stupor when is laid a 3W static beam on my ankel. I so wish someone got that on video.
    End Quote

Hahahahhahahahaaaa,

That will forever be burn't into my memory as the second funniest thing that happened at SELEM09. The first being Buffo's reaction when his electric EQ shirt started shocking the shit out of him because of the sweat under it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ImageLight View Post
    That will forever be burn't into my memory as the second funniest thing that happened at SELEM09. The first being Buffo's reaction when his electric EQ shirt started shocking the shit out of him because of the sweat under it.

Mark
    Dude! that was seriously some funny s$!#! Where's a camera when you need one!

Wink Hold up; when did this happen?

I am offended; this is the first time I have heard about this...

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I am offended; this is the first time I have heard about this... [/QUOTE]

Yeah, that makes two of us,....

OK, make sure this thing has a real good power on reset function, and bug me about getting you the schematics of two proven circuits. one the power ramp for the shutter, and two , the timer circuit from Omni 150, which can be pinstrapped for anything from 1 second to 4 minutes.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I am offended; this is the first time I have heard about this...
    I obviously wasn't doing my job correctly..... The moment was priceless and I totally missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImageLight View Post
    . . .The first being Buffo's reaction when his electric EQ shirt started shocking the shit out of him because of the sweat under it.

Mark
    I totally forgot about that! That was just too much!

-J