Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wicked Lasers' new lasers

Default Wicked Lasers' new lasers

As some of you know, Wicked Lasers is releasing some new lasers for 2010, and some are actually already available!

The front page of Wicked Lasers' website has not been updated, but the "Astronomy" page lists all the new products.

They are:

• Executive Pro
    • Evolution Pro
    • Elite Pro
    • Photonic Pro
    • Spyder I Pro
    • Spyder II Pro
    • Spyder III Pro
    • SONAR Elite
    • SONAR Advanced
    • SONAR Extreme
    • Spyder II Pro
    • Spyder III Pro
    • SONAR Elite
    • SONAR Advanced
    • SONAR Extreme
    • Pulsar Pro
    • Spyder II Pro
    • Spyder III Pro

Yes, I know Wicked has a questionable reception, but according some reviews on LPF, Wicked has been trying to improve its reception, so I'm really curious how this will go.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs down

Hmm.. You're curious how this will go so you come and spam our forum.
    How would we know?

Unless of course your aim was just to SPAM.

Begone foul spammer and do not darken our doorstep with your foul and shoddy inferior goods ........

steve (apparently) from wicked lasers has been pm'ing me on this forum asking if i could review the new spyder III.

had a few exchanges now he is not replying!

strange! or spam!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

It's amazing that most of the members at LPF are (allegedly) into astronomy and not, as was popularly thought, a load of immature numpties into targeting incoming aircraft, Police Helicopters, popping balloons and burning tape.

Who'd 'ave thunk it ........

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Hmm.. You're curious how this will go so you come and spam our forum.
    How would we know?

Unless of course your aim was just to SPAM.

Begone foul spammer and do not darken our doorstep with your foul and shoddy inferior goods ........
    You're joking, right? (I don't work for Wicked, by the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    steve (apparently) from wicked lasers has been pm'ing me on this forum asking if i could review the new spyder III.

had a few exchanges now he is not replying!

strange! or spam!
    I got a PM from "Steve" on LPF asking me to review a laser as well.

I have one of the new EVo Pro lasers he sent me to review, and a 60mw blue spyder is coming in a few weeks apparently. I dunno why they all of a sudden had an urge to send out free lasers, but this thing is pretty damn stable, but huge!

It's rated at 144mW average.

BTW, this laser stays INSIDE my house at all times, and I use goggles when doing stuff up close with it. I do not shine any lasers into the sky unless there is atleast a mountain to act as a beam block within view. EVen then it's only my scanner. I dont really like pointers for that reason (People shining them at planes), but they are sending some out to people free, so why not.

Did I mention it was huge?!? It takes AA's tho.

Mind the crap on the desk
    Last edited by Things; 08-25-2009 at 22:28.

It seems Wicked has removed the list of new lasers, but I saw the price for the 60 mW blue laser, and it was almost $5,000 (I think). IMO, that price is a "tad" much.

Cool Thoughts on "hot" pointers...

According to their website, they are spending a bunch of money on advertising by giving away high-powered pointers to a large number of people so they will write reviews about Wicked Lasers' new product line. Steve has contacted many people here on PL, including me, with this offer.

I was initially opposed to the idea on the grounds that high-powered laser pointers are illegal in this country, so I didn't want to be seen as promoting such illegal activity. More to the point, I felt that these lasers were being recklessly marketed to people who did not have the knowledge to operate them safely. (You know the type of person I'm talking about... "What stuff can I burn with this laser?" Or my personal favorite: "How far will the beam travel?") And I really didn't want to encourage that.

I feel that the widespread misuse of high-powered laser pointers will inevitably lead to more legal restrictions, if not an outright ban, on the ownership and use of lasers for display purposes in this country. As such, I felt it was my obligation to discourage the sale of such pointers, particularly when they are blatantly marketed to the uneducated.

However, in an effort to be fair, I did tell Steve that I would consider his offer if his products were brought into compliance with US regulations. That means a keyswitch, an emission indicator, proper labeling, etc... (All the things that make a lab laser different from a pointer.) And it does appear that they have filed a laser product report for some of their new lasers. Though without a copy of the actual report, it is impossible to tell what has been added or changed to the design, or if they are indeed in compliance or not.

If they have, in fact, upgraded the product to bring it into compliance, then that is a welcomed first step. If they go the extra mile by warning people (both on their website and in the product packaging) of the dangers of these lasers, especially when it comes to aircraft, then I might actually consent to a review. After all, I think we can all agree that hand-held lasers can be cool and interesting, if handled appropriately. Also, I've seen several "hot" laser pointers in the hands of both commercial laserists and senior ILDA members alike, so it's not as if they can't be owned and used safely.

But this is a very touchy subject for me. There is a big difference between the homebrew laser enthusiast who assembles his own red laser for use in a projector and some "pointer jockey" who just wants to know how fast he can burn through black electrical tape. I don't worry about the laser enthusiast ever pointing his home-built red laser at a police helicopter, for example.

Adam

These new ones are claimed to be FDA compliant.

Hmm, according to Justin from Laserglow, they're not.