Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FB3 brightness?

I suspect my FB3 is not giving out 5V. It is already modified for bus power. I need the 5V power supply to test the lasers directly. My problem could be that the lasers are way out of spec (though doubtful). I am still in the troubleshooting process.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by yobresal View Post
    I suspect my FB3 is not giving out 5V. It is already modified for bus power. I need the 5V power supply to test the lasers directly. My problem could be that the lasers are way out of spec (though doubtful). I am still in the troubleshooting process.
    Aren't the lasers them selves powered by a 5V PSU; I would think the blue and green whould be.

The blue laser will not opertate solo. You need to supply it with the 0-5V on the modulation lines in order for it to shoot its load. I havent looked at the other side of the PSU for the green laser. I will open up the other side of the projector tonight and check it out.

Here is what I have. DB25 breakout board with all 3 of the lasers' modulation lines connected directly to it as well as the scanners X/Y lines. The scanners are connected to their own power supply. The lasers are all drawing their mains power from their huge Drivers. Am I missing something else somewhere?

Lightbulb

What kind of laser is the blue? I thought most of them had a CW setting. I also thought the power supply was 5 volts so you could wire the blanking leads to the power supply. I could be wrong... Same with most greens.

If you've got a PC handy you can take the 5v off the ATX PSU cable.

If the laser drivers will do a TTL- mode you can simply set it to this and disconnect the blanking and it'll come on at full power.

What you will find is that the FB3 constantly modulates the signal, so even if it's a steady frame, the modulation will still be working. So whilst it may be peaking at 5v, the average will be lower when measured with a meter. This is why Bill says you need a scope to check the output. If your lasers don't respond well to fast modulation you'll find that they don't come up to power before it's reduced again. I believe this is known as jellybeaning.

http://www.pangolin.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101

where I can find updated version of LiveQuick for FB3 ?

can someone upload to ftp ?
    greetz

Posted on the pangolin update page on their web site:

http://www.pangolin.com/UpdateFiles.htm
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Looks like my problem is the lasers. I was under the assumption that the 300mW lasers I purchased were the same lasers that I was testing but it seems those 300mW lasers are no longer 300mW lasers but more along the lines of 100mW lasers. How? why? I guess I just need to learn to stop trusting people.

Quote Originally Posted by yobresal View Post
    Looks like my problem is the lasers. I was under the assumption that the 300mW lasers I purchased were the same lasers that I was testing but it seems those 300mW lasers are no longer 300mW lasers but more along the lines of 100mW lasers. How? why? I guess I just need to learn to stop trusting people.

What happened?!?!

Buffo, didn't we test the output out of that projector at FLEM and SELEM?

Yobresal... something's not right man. I know I tested these units and got more than that...

--DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

Yo guys, LivePRO 5.0 for FB3 is available for download!
    http://www.pangolin.com/whatsnew.htm