Thread: "Playing" galvos through a keyboard

Lightbulb "Playing" galvos through a keyboard

I've seen a video where somebody "played" a set of galvanometers using 2 keyboards for signal generators. You can see that video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCUiC...e=channel_page

I sent him a message yesterday asking if he'd be willing to explain how he made connection between the galvos and keys.

Does anyone on here know how this is wired?

I'm a musician, so being able to create signal to some galvos via a keyboard, through an audio output or any kind of way using musical instruments would be SO GREAT

Judging by the images, he is just taking the audio output from the piano and feeding it to the galvos, the blue and green galovs are getting the same signal, but x-y are reversed and the blue has a wider scan angle. I am not sure where he is getting x and y from, my best guess would be that he has a low pass filter for one channel and a high pass for the other (thuse hitting low keys would run the x galvo, high keys for the y) but I don't think that would give the results you see.

edit, after watcthing the end of the video he has 2 keyboards--one is obviously for x the other is for y.

If you wanted to replicate this you would jsut need to boost the output from your keyboards up to 5v, and possibly make them dual ended depending on your galvos, one of the level boards for the sound card dac would work great for this. Just feed it with the keybaord instead of the sound card.
    Last edited by krazer; 09-10-2009 at 17:18. Reason: thought about it more