Thread: Open Laser Show Controller API

Default Open Laser Show Controller API

Everyone!

The 1st version of the Open Laser Show Controller API is done.

What is the Open Laser Show Controller API (besides a mouth full of words)?

The OLSC API is an OPEN software programming interface that makes talking with laser show output hardware easy to write programs for. It gives a common interface to any laser show output hardware. Best of all it is 100% free. Please feel free to download the example projects for your language/development environment of choice and documentation to get started.

Please visit the web site to download examples:

http://www.fab-favreau.com/olsc.html

There are too many files and such to post here.

Any comments/suggestions can be directed towards myself on this forum or you can email me (link off of the web site).

Any software writers or hardware creators that would like to participate please contact me.

Have Fun!

I forgot to add that version 2 is under development and a preliminary version can be downloaded from the web site. This version is expected to address several issues that you may find with the API itself. I expect that there will several comments on the API. Version 1 is frozen and Version 2 is the one in development ... so any changes will be made there.

Thumbs up

I am currently working on a Java based laser show creator / live player for Windows, OSX and Linux. This project is a great idea. I'm currently just testing with an EasyLase (using my own driver wrapper via JNI).

The obvious omission to the driver list is for QM2000, i'd urge anyone with working drivers to help here. If not, i'll probably be forking out for a board and I can add support to this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon-Foundry View Post
    I am currently working on a Java based laser show creator / live player for Windows, OSX and Linux. This project is a great idea. I'm currently just testing with an EasyLase (using my own driver wrapper via JNI).

The obvious omission to the driver list is for QM2000, i'd urge anyone with working drivers to help here. If not, i'll probably be forking out for a board and I can add support to this project.
    I believe adding support for the Pangolin FB3 may also be a problem, as of yet, Pangolin have not released a SDK for it. Going to be nice to see what you end up with, though

Cheers,
    Dan

Anyone want to try to come up with a good reason for Bill to let us code an FB3 driver please try. I was unable to provide interesting enough reason for them to let me code a driver. Also if someone has a QM2000 board and can program in C++ please PM me.

About the license:

I chose the MIT license for this code set. It allows commercial and non-commmercial use of the code without the stigma of source code disclosure. You can keep your code and compiled versions completely closed and do not have to distribute it if you don't want to. You can sell it, give it away for free... etc.

The only thing that has to be open here are the examples and the API itself.

Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------

Also if you have hardware that does not have a driver yet and are interested in coding a driver please do ... or contact me and I can try to give it a go.

I sent you example code for the QM2000 that did not use their nondistributable libraries...

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Anyone want to try to come up with a good reason for Bill to let us code an FB3 driver please try. I was unable to provide interesting enough reason for them to let me code a driver. Also if someone has a QM2000 board and can program in C++ please PM me.
    I read that they were gonna release a SDK for the FB3 eventually ...

Yes, I remember. If anyone is willing to test i can throw a driver together using Dr. Lava's code. I do not have a QM2000 board to test with. If someone that has a few free moments has a QM2000 board and can code C++ please let me know.

I also have the code for a RIYA USB? DAC from DrLava too... and that is pretty much in the same category as the QM2000 (I do not have one). Any volunteers?

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    I also have the code for a RIYA USB? DAC from DrLava too... and that is pretty much in the same category as the QM2000 (I do not have one). Any volunteers?
    I have a RIYA multibus micro, my projector is in pieces at the moment if somebody doesn't beat me I will give it a try (but it may take me a week or so to before I can do anything). Yes I can code C++ but it has been awhile .

-Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 09-28-2009 at 12:56. Reason: shortened quote, noted I can code.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.