Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie question on ILDA control

I don't think it is the ribbon cable, because the measurements that I took was on the end that goes into the circuit. There is also a similar cable for the ILDA out, and I have swopped the two, just to check for that.

The two jumper wires directly from the ILDA connector to the blanking wires on the laser might definitely work?! I will try that, but again, just a but cautious that I don't blow anything, maybe my DAC?

You are SO DAM Close =)

Could their be a cold solder on the ribbon cable connector on the board?

I you are good with a soldering iron you can go-ahead and just reheat each of the pins and make sure their are no intermittent connections...

I would definately also try removing the ribbon cable and just jum some leads into the onboard connector from the ILDA cable from the DAC

You can't be 100% sure the ribbon cable is good until you've measured signal on the pins on the reverse of the board whilst it's plugged in. By removing it to test it you may well be forcing the break closed, and it then opens up again when you replug the connector.

At this point you know that you have signal to the header, and you have signal to the blanking header from the DMX controller, so you only need to trace the tracks from the ribbon header to the red blanking header to look for your problem. At this point I'd probably just add a jumper as previously mentioned on the rear of the board.

Norty,

I concur

Ok, will probably on get to this on the weekend, but I'm almost sure I'm gonna complete the fix in the next attempt! SO DAM close! Thanks for all the advice.

Ok, finally I got some time to work on it again. Start the testing again... I measure connectivity between the red line at the incoming end of the cable other end of the circuit, with the cable plugged in and on the back side of the circuit board and there is connectivity.... Then I switch everything on and notice that the voltage is correct, but as soon as I plug in the cable there is nothing, so my father suggests there might be a short circuit. Ok, so I check everywhere and find no short circuit (visually).

Then I decide to try the jumper wire (C) without luck, because there is no voltage because of the short circuit. So I figure, ok, let me start removing the transistors and test them... So in my attempt to remove, I break the one transistor (A). Right, now the result of that is the red laser not working anymore in DMX/Standalone mode... Hehehe. Ok, of to the electronic shop I go to get a replacement transistor. Then all of a sudden I get the idea to remove the plastic socket where the ribbon cable goes in and would you believe it - there is the short circuit (blob of soldering) (B).

So now everything is working! Can't believe my luck I was so furious at a stage and had images in my mind of sending the thing back to the supplier and spending even more money. Glad all is working, thanks for all the help, especially the jumper cable idea (C) - as that is in place - wouldn't work without it.

So now onto Phoenix... That's a story on it's own, but I will make another post in the reviews section on that.

Thumbs up AWESOME!!!

ROCK and ROLL!!! But just the same typical experience of running circles... breaking something in the process.... never fails it something simple

But that is how we learn.... I bet you know a whole lot about your driver and a couple other things now... The frustration and hardwork is always worth it in the end!

Congrats!!!!!!!