Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question on ILDA control

Question Newbie question on ILDA control

I have an RGV laser, similar to this one, but only the 500mW.

Now I am trying to control it with ILDA, but nowhere in the manual does it say anything about that, it only talks about DMX, but I know it is definitely controllable with ILDA.

So my question is this: How does the laser know to start listening to the ILDA signal? Do you need to plug in the DMX controlller as well and somehow indicate with the DMX controller to select the ILDA pattern, or do you need to set the DMX address to something specific? I'm sure most projectors are very similar?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Default ilda

i thinks you will need just to set the small bank of swithes to the correct order to disable the on board sound to laser part of the projector there should be the info in the manual if not you will have to get hold of the supplier for the info, as different projectors have different settings to disable it, you think they would just fit a simple switch for the job

Hello,

What are you inputing to the "ILDA" port of the unit?
    Did this unit come with some sort of extra card or controller?

As you become more familiar with Laser show equipment you will start to understand that these "ILDA" ports on these projectors represent a compliancy with a standard established by the ILDA (International Laser Display Association)...

This compliancy ensures that each pin of that connector are connedted properly to the right componet of the projector (See this link http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las.../Pinouts9.html)

I ask if you unit came with a extra card or control box because you will also learn that we typically need some type of DAC card... This takes the programmed animations, patterns and beams from the computer and converts them to electrical signals that are then fed directly to the appropriate pins of that "ILDA" port you are looking at.

I am concerned you are just connecting this port directly to the back of your OC and useing some software that came with the unit...

Just poking for some more information from you to better understand your problem

Laser Guy

Hi, thanks for the info. I have also emailed the supplier in the meanwhile with the question but still awaiting an answer.

I am using Phoenix Live to control it (www.phoenix-showcontroller.de), however the cable between the laser and the controller unit didn't come with, so I am just using an ordinary old printer cable that fits both ends. - Not sure if that will work or do I need a special cable?

your cable shoud be fine thats all i use

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by badger1666 View Post
    your cable shoud be fine ....
    As long as all the pins are connected inside ..........

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    As long as all the pins are connected inside ..........
    Yes I have read in another thread that some cables don't have all the pins connect inside! I will test it with the multimeter tonight.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jfloots View Post
    Hi, thanks for the info. I have also emailed the supplier in the meanwhile with the question but still awaiting an answer.

I am using Phoenix Live to control it (www.phoenix-showcontroller.de), however the cable between the laser and the controller unit didn't come with, so I am just using an ordinary old printer cable that fits both ends. - Not sure if that will work or do I need a special cable?
    Awesome... you are on your way!
    I couldn't tell from the first post if you were literally just getting started with a china eBay laser system.. You seem like you know what you need just need to get that thing projecting... A good trouble shoot would be to try a couple different printer extension cables you may have laying around to make sure the cable isn't an issue.

Probably wouldn't hurt anything to try a couple different dip switch combinations until you get some signals....

Well I am almost literally just getting started, this is my first RGB laser etc. Before I have just owned a 125mW green laser pointer from Wicked Lasers and a 200mW red from eBay.

I have two other questions though..

1. How do I know the green laser in my projector is true 100mW as claimed? - My 125mW laser pointer seem much brighter, although I suppose a lot of power gets lost on the mirrors. Or not? Same with the red one - claimed 250mW but seems less bright than my 200mW red? Not sure about the 150mW violet as I have nothing to compare it to.

2. How do I clean the mirrors? With a micro fibre cloth, or is cleaning not recommended for the sake of not scratching the mirrors?

Smile

I would wait to compare for when you have your controller up and running...

I assume that when the unit is just in the pre-programmed DMX mode it's probably modulating and blanking which will change its apparent intensity to the eye.

Hopefully when you have you controller running you can set up a static beam and compare that way... Of course the best measurement is an optical power meter but not everyone has the luxury of having one. But if you are just looking to eyeball the intensity having a bench mark is nice...

But keep in mind..... How do you know that the laser pointer is precisely 125mW? You could possibly be getting more out of your pointer than specified? Just something to consider.

You will experience some losses on the optics... Each mirror may loose 2% plus whatever is lost in the internal combining optics (dichorics) and fold mirrors (If there are any).

I know a lot of guys have solid cleaning recommendations... Maybe someone could interject with their recommendations.

I simply have been using some Isopropyl alcohol with medical cue tips and gently swab the galvo mirrors... It evaporates quickly and I am able to replicated the drop and drag method on such small mirror surfaces. Be very delicate with the galvos mirrors and make sure not to put to much pressure.... just gently swab.

Welcome to the forum

Laser Guy