Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 3 Years Laters Its Finally Done!!!!!!!!!

Pat;

I agree, but for a hobbyist, a 480V laser PSU is totally impractical. The transformer needed to step up enough 208 to 480 so that we could fire that monster coherent that George has would probably weigh 500 pounds. That's not something that I'd want to have to load in and out for SELEM...

Ditto on the water boost pump. If we can't make do with cooling water flowing from the tap, then the laser is too big to screw with. After all, we're not doing lasers for the Rolling Stones or anything. Truthfully, I think even 208 V 3 phase systems are a pain in the ass, and I'm actually one of the lucky ones in that I've got limited access to a 208 system that is less than a mile from the house. (But getting into the panel is a bitch, and it's a long run from there to the shop floor.)

George bought that laser for a song, and I think he hoped to one day use it for commercial shows. But it's *so* big and *so* heavy that it's really impractical, especially when it's 10 times easier to just set up a couple Lexel 95's or a pair of Coherent I-90's instead. (And both will be bright enough for an indoor show with up to 5000 people, so why go any bigger?)

Adam

yeh, also if I did step up I would then need 200 amps per leg of 208 3 phase. Not many places I deal with have those. When I used this thing I just got a 105kw generator

Anyone wanna buy a gas intact I-100 K3 for cheap? You can test it all day long if you rent the generator

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I also think there is a power differece between those two lines; I think the 488 line is close to twice the power depending on the tube.
    I don't know about that but according to Chroma 1 watt of 488 is almost twice as bright as 1 watt of 473 (70 to 130 lm).

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Pat;

I agree, but for a hobbyist, a 480V laser PSU is totally impractical. The transformer needed to step up enough 208 to 480 so that we could fire that monster coherent that George has would probably weigh 500 pounds. That's not something that I'd want to have to load in and out for SELEM...

Ditto on the water boost pump. If we can't make do with cooling water flowing from the tap, then the laser is too big to screw with. After all, we're not doing lasers for the Rolling Stones or anything. Truthfully, I think even 208 V 3 phase systems are a pain in the ass, and I'm actually one of the lucky ones in that I've got limited access to a 208 system that is less than a mile from the house. (But getting into the panel is a bitch, and it's a long run from there to the shop floor.)

George bought that laser for a song, and I think he hoped to one day use it for commercial shows. But it's *so* big and *so* heavy that it's really impractical, especially when it's 10 times easier to just set up a couple Lexel 95's or a pair of Coherent I-90's instead. (And both will be bright enough for an indoor show with up to 5000 people, so why go any bigger?)

Adam
    everything you just mentioned is why I slowly dumped large frames and developed the yag
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Correction: Most *large* theaters have that capability. Smaller venues usually have 208. (To wit: the 500 seat auditorium for SELEM only has 208, and it's the largest venue we've ever used.)

In fact, of the half-dozen or so venues I've scouted out for LEM's over the past three years, none of them have had 480 V 3 phase power.

Sure, a convention center will have it, as will any major venue. But most people would consider it a losing proposition to spend 4 grand to rent a room at a convention hall just to get access to 480 V power.

Adam

Agreed, I haven't been in a "Small" theatre for quite some time, I sort of forgot about that.
    I agree with laserman, you could bring a boost transformer, or a conveter, or rent a genny, depending on cost (which might not be that bad, I've only used them, never priced the rental out).

(Also, it was more of a joke, the mental image of cooling down an entire theatre vs running a laser.)
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Adam I defentaly will stop by to see this setup of yours.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Talking about adjustment and waste beam. There is a set of pot at the back of PCAOM driver. The is one main set: Intensity and offset. And there is a set for each channel. I have no idea how they work and what they do. You have to be a German to understand. and 10-20% of waste is normal for PCAOMS. After all it's only a piezo-resonator with coated crystal.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Adam -

...DUDE - GREAT JOB, brother! Very, very nice work... You just graduated... Congrats, and next time I can come up to 'YYZ' I have a little present for you, that will be a mind-blowing answer to your question below...

Quote Originally Posted by premierlaser View Post
    As for the waste beam from the PCAOM i really haven't came up with a feasible solution for it...but i am open to ideas? lol
    ... hint: L U M I A... the already-widened angle of the waste-beam enables you to produce some breathtaking fx that you just can't achieve with only a single white beam... like I said, if I can get up to YYZ-territory sometime, I'll bring you a waste-beam fx module for your table that I guarantee you will make you even forget your girlfriend for at least a week...

Congrats again, and PS - take Pat's (Laserman) advice about not transpo-ing that beauty with your G L A S S SPs attached - do the locator-pins idea - works like a charm...spot-on advice...

KIT..
    j

Heya Aaron -

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    They use several lines of blue, 488, 476, and 452 are the main ones I think.
    Ions to the end (2012, that-is.. ... worth all the 'pain', IMO...

peace...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...