Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Circuit Board Cad.

Good luck James! Hope you have a speedy recovery

My first replacements were in 93 and 94 and they were not done right. So I have had a lot of dislocations on both sides. That sucks more than you can imagine. I had both of them re-done in 2001 and that didn't fix the problem. So I went to the Cleveland Clinic and got a guy who specializes in fixing bad replacement jobs. I had the right one done by him last year. It seems to be stable.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Nice. Long time since I last had surgery. Was small, but there wa a risk of cutting the anterior facial nerve. If that had happened my face would be hard to live with, let alone in public. Was good though. The point being: I insisted on meeting the surgeon. He agreed. It was a short meeting but we both felt better for it, and so did the student doctor (a woman) with him. Whatever the connection, the more solid and real it is, the less likely a surgeon is to screw up. They might think otherwise, but that will be training speaking, and habit. I dare say if there's too many people doing it it could get annoying, but when the risk is of losing a big chunk of a life, or worse, five minutes is a thing a surgeon would probably grant you. But I guess you already have spoken to him often by now, which should help, at least I hope so. Doctors give plenty of time to patients usually, I'm not sure why surgeons so rarely do. Another good effect it had was on my recovery. Not only did it go well, I was sat up on the gurney before the wheels had stopped rolling as the staff closed the theatre doors. They were shocked, had never seen a pateint out of general anaesthetic that fast, apparently. And it took some persuading later that night that I really was ready for a bit of food. In short, if I need serious medical help, I'll be polite, but I won't allow myself to be treated as a passive piece of meat. I bet I'm not alone in this.

American health care is a freaking mess. Back in 93, 94 I had no insurance. So I was a house patient.... read that Guinea Pig!

I had a resident surgeon screw up my hips the first go around.

Then I had the arrogant A-hole attending surgeon screw it up again in 2001. I HAD insurance for those surgeries!

The guy at the Cleveland Clinic did it right. And he is a very down-to-Earth, decent person too.

Weird off topic..... talking about bone CAD!

James.
    Last edited by james; 09-09-2013 at 20:35.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Good stuff. I had to wait a while to get a tooth fixed right, it was an older dentist who did it, one who values the old NHS instead of trying to sell the smile. If you get the opportunity in the US for an NHS, grab it with both hands and don't let go. It has its problems, but nothign like as bad as the UK current govt is making out, a govt that would rip apart a working hospital to fix a bad one, and is appealing a court case in which they lost a recent battle royal over that. (Lewisham, London, being the good one that people are fighting to protect). It's not even about ideology. Those who listen hear tales like yours, of very bad US practise. Compared to that the UK has it easy! And that';s because of the NHS. It would be a lot worse here without it. And too many people have let the govt damn near tear it up and throw it away! Fortunately Obama recognises the value of that which we do not, having taken it too much for granted for so long. BIG lesson for both sides of the Atlantic there... And it's not 'ideology' either, it's not a political football, and it should NOT be the plaything of cruel political reformists. It's a matter of life and death for millions, it's purely pragmatic. Any industry will talk of central planning, economy of scale, so when the right-wing 'thinkers' say it's being torn apart for the good of patients in 'reform', don't beleive it, that action is more like piracy, basic looting. Cos if it happens, and someone's leg gets cut off when it shouldn't, the private hospital will keep that private if it can, and not much chance of winning a lawsuit against their lawyers either, and even winning won't put back the leg. The publicly owned one won't so easily get away with it, (rightly scared of being hauled before a parliamentary committee; those bastards have teeth!) so they'll try to prevent the harm in the first place. And most people may have noticed that the hospitals in the NHS with the worst records were private trusts anyway, which is a hell of a clue to where political interference and privatisation of healthcare leads... Politicals should set it up on a grand scale, then let it alone to do its job. Cuba got it right. Right-wing freemarket 'choice' is great for getting more colours for cars and furnishings, not so good for getting core support going, because it's rarely profitable enough to attract serious talent unless that talent is valued enough to get paid for by the public and the state. To any who would argue the case, I'd say that's just how it is, shown by the history of many nations. To me, arguing against it is like shouting at gravity. So I state my case and be done with it.
    /rant. Anyway, good luck (again).
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 09-09-2013 at 20:54.

In a desperate bid to get back to topic, has anyone tried RS Components' DesignSpark software? If so, any good?

Back to bone CAD for another minute.....

I'm sitting in a bed in the Cleveland Clinic right now. My surgery went very well. Dr. Victor Krebs must be a true wizard. He only had to change the ball on the femoral stem and he cemented a specially designed new liner into the metal cup that is already grown into my pelvis. So, all I have to deal with is soft tissue healing. All the bone to metal stuff was left as it is. I should only need to be on crutches for a few weeks!

I cannot believe how good I feel. I have no idea how it is possible for a surgeon to cut into me, go through muscles and tendons and such to get to my skeleton, mess around in there, put it all back together..... and I have almost no swelling and very little pain.

Unbelievable!

Like I said. Dr. Krebs is a true wizard!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Glad to hear you are back and feeling well. I completely misunderstood your first sentence

It looks like this thread has been dormant a while, but I thought I would chime in. Years ago, I used McCad PCB, but that was back when you had to produce a photo-positive for the board house.
    I am currently struggling with EAGLE. I've done several layouts with it successfully, using PCB Express (pricey but good quality).
    My problem is I can't get my head around creating new library files. Many of the older parts some of us like are either not supported, or the .bxt files you can get from the chip manufacturers don't have the package layer or some non-sense.
    While I'm here, does anyone have a .lib file for the LM-13700 they wish to share?
    Thanks-
    Jay