Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: FLECOM's Projector: Perpetual Work In Progress...

Hey man, everything looks great! I cannot wait to see your lumia wheel ideas come together. What type of actuators are you going to use, and what manner do you plan on driving them/telling them when/how to switch?
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    Hey man, everything looks great! I cannot wait to see your lumia wheel ideas come together. What type of actuators are you going to use, and what manner do you plan on driving them/telling them when/how to switch?
    -Mike
    mixedgas linked me to an ebay auction to some electrocardiograph motors... going to use those as actuators...

to control everything i got a Shotec Multiexchanger 72 channel DMX analog dimmer... basically this device was meant to run old 0-10v lighting systems from modern DMX equipment... it gives me 72 (!) analog outputs

and a 24 channel behringer dmx board to control that

basically the goal will be to have a channel to take over the projector (from ILDA to DMX)
    a channel to control each actuator
    a channel to control the speed of each lumia motor
    a channel to control the brightness of each laser

and eventually maybe some voltage controlled oscillators to make Lissajous patterns, modulate the lasers, etc

obviously all of that is going to require some circuitry for voltage conversion (ex take the 0-10v and make it 0-5v for the lasers etc)

i would really like to make this thing be able to operate standalone in "old school" lasershow mode

but I'm getting it together on paper and my head so maybe something might actually make it to the table lol

electrocardiograph motors- wow, that's a cool idea!
    Sounds like you are in for all kinds of fun Oh, and definitely thumbs up for the old-school stuff mixed in
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikkojay View Post
    electrocardiograph motors- wow, that's a cool idea!
    that was 100% mixedgas, i owe him big time...

Very cool, I look forwarding to seeing the progress!

However, there are some really easy (some cheap, some not) to running simple DMX output from your computer. This may or may not be easier, depending of course on your situation, however, since you have your computer running already for Pangolin control, you could look into one of those alternatives as well.

Then again, the independent functionality is favored by some people. I have ran shows with multiple consoles. Normally I wouldn't but in that situation it was merely a problem with their house lights and my GrandMA2.

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    Very cool, I look forwarding to seeing the progress!

However, there are some really easy (some cheap, some not) to running simple DMX output from your computer. This may or may not be easier, depending of course on your situation, however, since you have your computer running already for Pangolin control, you could look into one of those alternatives as well.

Then again, the independent functionality is favored by some people. I have ran shows with multiple consoles. Normally I wouldn't but in that situation it was merely a problem with their house lights and my GrandMA2.
    well the pangolin has DMX out so I could run it from that I suppose... and I see tons of USB>DMX interfaces on ebay for dirt-cheap... but I think it would be nice to have an actual control surface with faders and buttons etc...

Yep, I am aware of pangolin's DMX output, however, I have never used it.

I agree an actual 'console' is great to be able to access those functions at any time. I do no personally have any experience with that specific lighting console, however, sometimes the inexpensive ones can be quite clumsy to program. If you can find a place to play with it first. Like a DJ shop or something.

The other thing I was thinking about, but am unsure how you'd do it, but you could build your own custom interface using an Arduino duemilanove. The Arduino is an inexpensive proto board. At about $40 a piece I am sure some DMX software is written for it somewhere. Its just a thought, one I have put on the back-burner personally.

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    Yep, I am aware of pangolin's DMX output, however, I have never used it.

I agree an actual 'console' is great to be able to access those functions at any time. I do no personally have any experience with that specific lighting console, however, sometimes the inexpensive ones can be quite clumsy to program. If you can find a place to play with it first. Like a DJ shop or something.

The other thing I was thinking about, but am unsure how you'd do it, but you could build your own custom interface using an Arduino duemilanove. The Arduino is an inexpensive proto board. At about $40 a piece I am sure some DMX software is written for it somewhere. Its just a thought, one I have put on the back-burner personally.

well, i have had pretty good luck with behringer stuff... and for what i paid for it ($120) if it dosent work out, well, im not out a lot...

that DMX>Analog interface was also really cheap, picked that up for $150... most of the other DMX>TTL or DMX>Analog boards I was seeing were not much cheaper and offered far fewer channels

need to post updated pictures of its current state... but I am beginning on FLECOM's projector 2.0...

preview:

hey fle -

nice job, dude... good-call on the Newport rail / posts / positioners... 'Pro' tableware is rediculo-expensive, but you quickly see why and appreciate, once you use em.
    ...sure beats the glue-on chinze you see in some of those 'import projectors', eh?

...keep up the good werk...
    peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...