Thread: Where should I start??

Question Where should I start??

I'm mid 40s and in my teens worked in theatre lighting but gave it up for a better paid (but boring) job as a wage slave. As I approach retirement (in 5 years) I'd love to get in to laser displays.

My idea is to spend the next 5 years learning the business, then to put on shows as a part time hobby, (nothing major, shopping centres and out door displays etc) - I don't need to make a living from it, but I would like to cover costs.

Now the questions:
    1. Is this a crazy dream (like running a pub in Spain) which I should give up?
    2. Is it best to try and get experience by working (foc) for an existing company?
    3. Are there any books/courses I could learn from
    4. Should I just buy a low-cost set up and learn by doing?

All views and advice greatfully received!

Default Greetings

Hey Scoob,
    Welcome to PL! I am just a tinkerer, so I will leave the experienced-based answers to the big guns- One thing that I do believe would help provide more accurate answers to your questions would be if you filled in the location info in your profile (edit- just read the Spain part, duh!). It seems like many of the important steps to be considered when it comes to lasers in public vary from country to country. There are a couple of videos floating around of an incredible show in Ibiza- that would be gerat if you could hook up with those folks.
    Have fun and read till your eyes pop out!
    -Mike

Actually no - Spain was a red herring - I'm UK based (just that everyone here dreams of opening a bar in Spain - it must be the weather).

Although I'm in the UK now, my prefference would be to do outdoor shows somewhere like the USA.

I already have a background in business, and I've done both simple animation and graphics work on the PC so I don't expect the software learning curve to be a steep as the laser part!

Ah, UK you are lucky in that there are a whole slew of brilliant laserists from UK that I am sure you can meet here. Watch out though, I'm pretty sure some of them are certifiably mad (in the good way)...
    -Mike

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs up

Welcome Scooby.
    As Mikko said, get your arse down to the next LEM in December cus you'll get the chance to chat to some very knowledgeable people (and me) who have many years of experience both in building projectors as well as using them on a professional basis.

Plus it'll wet your whistle in terms of what you can hope to achieve.

Hi Scooby & welcome to the forum

I notice that you're in Yorkshire... me too. If you drop me a PM and let me know the general area you're in we may not be too far from each other. There are one or two others from the Yorkshire area here as well.

This is a great community and a great place to talk about your laser addiction. Yes, sadly we're all very much addicts here and are completely consumed by our love of coherent light

So, you're due to retire at 50 , lucky *******. I guess that must make you a Policeman, a Fireman or some other Civil Servanty type person . I'm in the 50's club and would love to be just 5 years from retirement, but i'm not bitter

As Soffy says, the UK laser enthusiasts meetings are a great place to go to get an idea of what's available out there. The next one is on December 5th & 6th in Surfleet, Lincolnshire.

Oh, one other thing... I sincerely hope you've got one hell of a pension pot (and a very understanding other half)... Believe me when I say you're gonna need it if you're getting into this hobby

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Thumbs up

Hello Scooby! Welcome to PhotonLexicon. You've certainly come to the right place if you're interested in getting started with this money-pit hobby. But be warned: Abandon all hope of future financial solvency right now if you decide to take up this hobby!

The folks in the UK have a Laser Enthusiast's Meeting (UKLEM) scheduled for next month. I don't know how far it would be for you to drive to attend, but I *strongly* urge you to do so. There will be several experienced laserists in attendance, and probably 15 to 20 laser projectors set up. Many of them will be full color, solid state rigs, and a large percentage of them will be home made. You'll get a chance to see the equipment and talk to the guys that built it. You'll be able to compare several different laser show controllers and software packages. And you'll meet a *great* bunch of people. (You'll also be able to watch some killer laser shows!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Although I'm in the UK now, my prefference would be to do outdoor shows somewhere like the USA.
    Well, speaking from this side of the pond, I have to warn you that doing laser shows outside here in the US is going to be a lot more difficult than it is in the UK. Our regulations are quite strict. For example, here in the US it is very difficult to obtain permission to crowd-scan with a laser. This is why nearly all the shows done here have the beams at least 3 meters above the floor.

Also, outdoor shows fall under extra scrutiny because of the danger to aircraft. The FAA has to get involved when you do outdoor shows. Our laser shows are regulated *very* tightly, much to everyone's disappointment. Then too, as soon as you say "laser" in this country, someone thinks "terrorist trying to down an airliner", so you have that sort of hysteria to deal with.

That's not to say that you can't do public shows here. You can, and we have a few members here on PL who are doing shows for a living. Some of them even do outdoor shows. (I don't think we have anyone here who has an audience-scanning variance, however.)

But it's definitely not a gig that is going to make you rich. It might pay the equipment bill though, and if you really love the lasers to start with, it's probably worth it. You'll need to become familiar with the Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), which is a branch of the US Food and Drug Administration. The CDRH is in charge of regulating all lasers in the US, from medical and industrial units to entertainment lasers. The requirements are very strict, but we can help you find your way through the regulations.
    I already have a background in business, and I've done both simple animation and graphics work on the PC so I don't expect the software learning curve to be a steep as the laser part!
    Those skills will certainly help you. If you've got 5 years before you plan to attempt this, you have more than enough time to learn the laser side of things. As I said above, I think a very good place to start would be to attend the next UKLEM. Bring a camera and a list of questions. I promise you'll go home happy and even more curious. (Not to mention going home with plans to spend a whole bunch of money!)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I don't need to make a living from it, but I would like to cover costs.
    Hahaha, well in theory it can, but it's more likely to be a case of "I'll put the money from my next 2 gigs towards my savings and I'll upgrade my red"

Unless you are booked full time; it really is a case of your gigs *helping* to support your habbit.

Welcome BTW

Ian
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

UK based you say?
    If you fancy visiting our new showroom (opening very soon) to see some high-end KVANT laser machines in action here: www.synchrovision.co.uk (KVANT-UK) and follow instructions
    WELCOME!