Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Green to RGY....

Default From Green to RGY....

Well, it's not long been upgraded and now its going to get another colour!

See original thread here for last upgrades http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7986

Saw Marc Gottaluvlasers was doing a cheap 1W 650nm and struck a deal for some dichros and mirrors and so we have the beginnings of a 1.4W RGY. Looking at Chroma, the yellow balance will be just about perfect with 350mw of 532, and as my 532 was measured by Rob at just over 400mW it'll be ideal I hope.

Beam shows are my thing so the red doesn't bother me too much, the biggest problem is going to be squeezing it all in I think, I'm glad the DT25's have a single driver. I'm going to look into sharing the PSU of 650 for both lasers to save space.

Any comments?

yea i got a comment... I WISH I GOT THAT RED!!!!!
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Do you think I'll get away with the regular size mirrors on the scanners or should i consider some bigger ones? I suppose with the smaller ones I'll sacrifice some power but it'll stop some of the bleed too - swings and roundabouts...

The beam on those Laserwave 650 reds is at it's smallest about 18" from the head, If I were to rebuild my RGB; I'd send the beam for a bit of a journey before it reached the galvos so it would all fit on the (large) mirrors.

Ian
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Hmmm, not sure i have the luxury of a long beam path. I'll have to try it and see if i think i need the mirrors i think

If you are more interested in beam shows, replacing the mirrors with larger ones will only sacrifice a small amount of your scan speed -- which isn't a huge issue with beam shows anyway.

Well, the 650nm laser arrived today from Marc, doing just over 1.1w

All smiles at work as I opened it, but that was somewhat dashed when i got home and realised I may have been a little optimistic about how much space I had to play with.....

However, I may have a few tricks up my sleeve before I have to consider a completely new case... we'll see how it goes

Here's a quick shot of the 2 heads in place, but with the PSU and drivers out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0202[1].JPG  

Very nice! I think you should be able to squeeze everything in there if you move some stuff around, but it will definitely be tight. Can you post a pic showing it from the front?

Ok, so here's a layout that might work, I think my big enemy is going to be heat, but I've no idea what my biggest heat generators are going to be, I presume the galvo driver board

I'll make up a new back plate for the ILDA breakout board so it runs vertaically further to the right nearer the fan so the galvo PSU slips in next to it. There is enough space for the red driver/psu that is next to the case to be mounted on the case lid over the top of the laser heads.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0204[1].JPG  

Last edited by norty303; 11-05-2009 at 11:35. Reason: forgot pic!

ya definitely the galvo driver board is going to be your hot spot

lookin good so far, cant wait to see pics

I almost bought that 650 too lol