Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moncha Lite (I need help!)

Post Moncha Lite (I need help!)

Hi everyone,

I wonder if any of you can help me. I just recieved my Moncha Lite software and USB adapter that I bought from ebay, this morning and have a couple of questions.

I have a Laserworld CS-400G and it has a 40 degee scan angle. My main question is that Moncha only seems to want to scan over about 10-15 degrees and no more before the image goes out view. I have adjusted the scan rate down to between 8-10k, and changed the image size in a lot of different ways (both frame size and display size) but I am getting nowhere with it. I unplugged the ILDA conection and checked the sound-2-light, and I got a normal size image, scanning over about 40 degrees. Plugged the Moncha USB back in and back to 15 degree scan angle. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I can't seem to get the image size very big at all. From 2 meters away, the biggest image I can make is about 75cm. If I add X or Y movement to it, the image goes out of view.

I hope that someone can help!

Thanks,
    James
    Last edited by JimmyV; 10-31-2009 at 04:42.

Default Expert opinion needed

I just got on to Showtacle about the issue, and this is what I was told:

"I'm afraid, then the laser itself is working at higher voltage. ILDA
    standard (that 25 pin connector) used by Moncha is +- 5V for axis (x and
    y) and seems like your laser is working +- 10V internally. Maybe it would
    be good idea to talk with your laser producer about it."

They are good people at Showtacle, and I am sure that they may be right about this.

Does anyone else have any experience with this type of issue?

also have you adjust the size of the scan angle in the setting.

you can adjust the size on the "home/main page" but also there is a square box in the setting that you can adjust
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    also have you adjust the size of the scan angle in the setting.

you can adjust the size on the "home/main page" but also there is a square box in the setting that you can adjust

Hi Andy,
    Thanks for your reply.

I can see; drawing size, rotation, maximal scan rate and blanking.

I am probably being dumb here (nothing new, I can assure you), but I can't seem to find the "scan-angle" setting.

Where exactly is this scan angle setting?

i'd suspect a Laserworld laser in this =) although i have one as well and it works pretty fine with Moncha *knock* *knock* *knock* on the wood

Quote Originally Posted by dzodzo View Post
    i'd suspect a Laserworld laser in this =) although i have one as well and it works pretty fine with Moncha *knock* *knock* *knock* on the wood
    What laser are you running it with dzodzo?

I checked the Laserworld website to check the specs of their 20K scanners, and they run at +/- 18V !!! So I think that this is probably the problem :'( I just spent £225 on Moncha too :'(

Does anyone know if I can get some wort of convertor to convert the 5V coming out of the Moncha box to 18V?? Or if such a thing exists?

I guess +/- 18V refers to the supply voltage, not to the input voltage.

I you're lucky, the galvo drivers will have a potentiometer labeled 'size', that will help you adjust the scan angle.

Thanks -bart-

you are right about the input voltage. I realised after I posted that I had gotten confused about the voltage.

So the galvos can be adjusted then? Cos everything is fine when running in sound-2-light. Do you think that perhaps the galvos were never set up for running ILDA?

James

In the Moncha settings, there is a little black box with a red rectangle in it. That can be used to adjust the max scan angle. Make sure that red rectangle is the same size as the black box.

If that still doesn't work, you can open up your laser projector, and the galvo mp boards will usually always have a size adjustment potentiometer.

However, there will be quite a few potentiometers on the amp boards, so make sure you are adjusting the right one or things could go bad very quickly.