Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fb3 worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Originally Posted by LaserGuy216 1. This DAC doesnt allow for 100% FULL laser power output.

This is really not true. DZ had it right. Look at the output with a scope and you will see. Also, as others mentioned, an assumption is made that there will be more than one beam being output (more than one track). And finally, as someone else said, adjustments can be made to the software to "tune" the assumptions that are made to optimize output power based on the skill level of the user (we really have to make the assumption that the user has never used laser before and so we need to err on the side of safety and ease of use).
    Bill, I understand your answer but it is lacking one thing...

And finally, as someone else said, adjustments can be made to the software to "tune" the assumptions that are made to optimize output power
    Where can we find instructions on how to do this, I don't own an FB3 yet but this is a complaint I commonly hear. I would like to be able to point people to a solution when this comes up. We recently had a member give up and sell his projector because his FB3 didn't give full color output and he was so frustrated http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8801). I just emailed a friend with an FB3 and he ran a test on his lasers with the following results:
    "I just finished running a test using 5vdc regulated clean dc to "turn on" lasers got the stated outputs of all the lasers!! Then with the FB3 I got 1/2 to 3/4 output power!"

I am not going to questioning your product. But people pay a lot for their lasers and would like to get their money's worth out of them, and this may be a feature not an issue.

-Adam
    Last edited by sugeek; 11-09-2009 at 16:58.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

"I just finished running a test using 5vdc regulated clean dc to "turn on" lasers got the stated outputs of all the lasers!! Then with the FB3 I got 1/2 to 3/4 output power!"
    What exactly did your friend do to get a constant output from the FB3? What results were experienced when doing the same thing with another DAC/software?

I query this because any pattern that is modulated is likely to be down on power compared to a constant 5vdc

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    What exactly did your friend do to get a constant output from the FB3? What results were experienced when doing the same thing with another DAC/software?

I query this because any pattern that is modulated is likely to be down on power compared to a constant 5vdc
    Before this he tried two other DACs and got a much better output, the regulated DC modulation was to prove the lasers power. I want to know HOW YOU FIX IT in the software. I know others say to the abstract generator to do a single point and then test, but that is not the issue... That isn't a solution that is a way of testing. So if one has a show that is way too dim or all of them way to dim it would really stink to have to modify every show to make the FB3 work and to get optimal performance. I am tired of hearing about the issue I want a real answer on the board rather than more questions unless they lead to an answer.
    Last edited by sugeek; 11-09-2009 at 10:45. Reason: I sounded like an ASS

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Before this he tried two other DACs, but I am not going to argue his process or frames.
    I wasn't looking for you to argue his process or frames, I was purely looking to ensure that the phenomena you are seeing is specifically down to the FB3, and not something you'd see on any DAC/Software combo doing the same frames.

As an FB3 owner too I have an interest in getting the best out of my lasers, but I also want to be sure that the problem exists in the first place, or if its just a result of blanking generally.

And finally, as someone else said, adjustments can be made to the software to "tune" the assumptions that are made to optimize output power
    I'm guessing this is to do with the minimum points slider in the output tab of configuration, but it's not covered in the documentation unfortunately.

It would be good if Pangolin could post ways to optimize output levels for regular frames

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I wasn't looking for you to argue his process or frames, I was purely looking to ensure that the phenomena you are seeing is specifically down to the FB3, and not something you'd see on any DAC/Software combo doing the same frames.
    Sorry I should have done a better job, I will clean up my post I just was a bit frustrated from the other thread. Nothing personal against you!

-Adam

I don't have an FB3, so perhaps I'm speaking when I shouldn't... but to me the answer "You'll just have to trust that Pangolin knows better than you do".. is a crock. Give me a fully functional device from the factory, not one with it's balls cut off so to speak.. It's my hard-earned money and I'd want my money's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Things View Post
    The laser coming on at full power when the FB3 disconnected ISN'T a fault with the FB3.
    when I say "disconnected" I mean when Livepro Errors out or ANY of the FB3 apps stop working, then the app & pc get disconnected.... or lost.
    at this time Im still "Connected" to the usb to pc & ilda from fb3 to proector. sorry that I wasnt more clear in my post.

at this time of LOST fb3 on my system I get GODS ROD OF LIGHT....
    "good thing for safety shutters"

Oh yeah and on the other note of FB3 laser power output, even after you go in and adjust ALL of the settings for Maxim output it still looks as my usb sound card DAC gets more laser power out. now I have comparied the Soundcard DAC, Pangolins FB3 & QM2000.net and found that the QM2000 & Soundcard DAC are just about the same as fair as PEAK laser power output.. its noticeably visible be comparasent of the 3 units
    Lasers, Lights, Music, Action!

I'm not so sure I agree, I think it's good practise to supply what is ultimately Pangolins entry level DAC hardware with some failsafes built in if thats what they deem to be good practise.

HOWEVER, I do think that if they acknowledge that they have taken steps to make any lasers attached to the DAC safer that may result in reduced beam power, then they should really supply some documentation about how to 'tune' the DAC if people so wish.

It's the lack of documentation that is the problem (imho) as it seems to be with the vast range of people posting here. If it was public domain how to 'unleash the beast' then these threads wouldn't exist.

now I have comparied the Soundcard DAC, Pangolins FB3 & QM2000.net and found that the QM2000 & Soundcard DAC are just about the same as fair as PEAK laser power output.
    It does seem strange however that 2 products from the same company differ in this way.

Sure it isn't, but we don't believe this kind of condition is possible with the FB3. If you could prove that it is, please write to me and we'll check it out.

Bill
    you know I've heard so many good things about your company, but untill now I wounder???? Ive called with my problems, stated in the forums my problems with my hardware and instead of offering to fix this problem you call me out & tell me to prove it? WTF

this problem is really going on and its not some way of my bad mouthing your company, like others have before. I just want my expensive investments to properly work. cant you just try and help me instead of offering alternivative information about fires & chineses problems???....

I have a problem with your hardware are you willing to fix this FREE of charge? & see for yourself the errors & possible help others not have this very same problem in the future?
    Lasers, Lights, Music, Action!

It's my hard-earned money and I'd want my money's worth.
    If you buy just about anything from them, you're getting your monies worth in my opinion...

LaserGuy216, do you have an oscilloscope? I'd like to put this problem to bed, I've heard several people say this and no one with a scope to prove it. If the output of the FB3 isn't getting to +5V then I'd wonder if it's an impedance problem.

Is there an editable ini file? For the QM2K there's an ini where you can make many changes. I just went in and changed "minimum number of points=" and it had a huge affect on the brightness of a single point.

Either way, wait till Quickshow comes out! We saw a demo at SELEM, very, very cool software package.