Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to connect 1x green + 1x RGB ??

Sure, but your green will have 12% less power and your RGB must be balanced inside the laser.

Many of us have more green power than red and blue in there RGB's and with the color palette you can make it nice in balance.

In my case i set green at 55% to get a nice white balance.

If I connect in my case a green laser with diodes to the RGB my green only will run at less than 50%.

With opamps you can fix this.
    Or you have to make sure all color signals are at 100% and live with the 12% power loss.

Probbably Jem got the last option

The thing is I live in complete and utter blissful ignorance, it's sort of liberating really

That's the one really good thing about being a complete electronics numpty, I can let other people worry about all the minor details . Basically I haven't a clue what Rob did to my projectors. All I know is that he used a thing called a 'soldering iron' and some cute little electronicky thingies called 'diodes', I believe there were some wires involved that allowed all the plumbing to work. There may have been other types of magical componenty type 'thingies' involved... But ask me if I really care

All I know is it all works, and looks plenty bright enough, and i'm eternally grateful to Rob and his wonderful electronics skills, I live in awe of his talents and the talent of others who understand this magical 'electronic' wizardry

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 11-07-2009 at 08:09.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

You can install a color correction board (offset/gain) inside the green projector and adjust it with a higher gain so it comes at full power even with the loss of the diodes and with the color palette.

With a great color correction board it will limit the output at 5.1V whatever you do, so you can adjust full power on the green projector when you have only 55% green on the RGB, and if you use any higher power on your RGB the green will still be at full power. Or am I totally wrong?

Yes this solution will work, especially if you also have different types of RGB's with different color balance hooked up to one QM, it's kinda similar as the opamp method i raised earlier.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Here, see attached.

VCC and VSS are 8-15 volts

protection resistors are 330 and 1K

Or the second circuit is are two known good lossless diode circuits, one is textbook, the other hybrid fet from a analog devices ap note and has better linearity.
    The AD one is known to work well down to 20 mV. The Simpler one works well down to 100 mV, and may have say 50 mV of ringing when driven to ground fast. YOu would not see 50 mV of ringing with just about any projector.

One reccomends adding 6.3V zener diode lamps as a sanity measure to save your lasers from open circuit , startup, etc.

losseless diode BMPS from the Elliot Sound web site, then edited
    Used under educational use clause to save me a half hour of drawing.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RGBBUFFER.bmp  

losslessDiode.bmp  

Last edited by mixedgas; 11-08-2009 at 03:50.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Before adding 'complicated' electronics beforehand, look at the real analog linearity of the input of this green laser. I've seen lots of inputs that are not so linear at all. I've seen topics on this issue.
    Most of them have a more or less an S shaped curve.They start lasing at 1 volt, and don't add much power beyond 4 volts.
    So a bunch of diodes might just yield satisfying results.

But I second:
    Best solution ; add a QM2000, 2nd best ; add circuitry with lossless diodes, third best; add a bunch of 4148's.

@ audrey: You should have stayed with mamba, it has an analog intensity output.

Can't you use the deep blue channel and add deep blue to the other colours in colour pallette?
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

^^^Now that's an idea ^^^

@ Jem: thanks for your concerns. I'm quite OK, in fact, I'm expecting a baby in April !

@ Mccarrot: you are right; the RGB is balanced in the LD palette, so I can't just hook up the 1x green to it and get 100% output.

@ Sbk: an offset/gain board? Aha, like the ones 'we' used years ago for the LPT interfaces with MOT and Popelscan.

@ Mixedgas: are these circuits tested already? I don't want to blow up my projectors and create a new laser color: braun smoke!

@ Bart: your sequence of best solutions is also the sequence of the costs. But I still have my Mamba. The only thing is that it has a bad LivePlayer build in it. Even Moncha a better than this liveplayer. I prefer LivePro till now.

@ Doc: great idea to use these unused outputs! But if a cue/scene is in e.g. red, it will not give some signal to this deep blue output, will it?

@ Rob: please reply to this thread!

@ All: thanks for helping me out so far. Here a link to the so called germanium diodes: http://www.reuk.co.uk/Germanium-Diodes.htm
    They have a voltage drop of 0.3V, so a bit better than our normal diodes.

Miss

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

@ Mixedgas: are these circuits tested already? I don't want to blow up my projectors and create a new laser color: braun smoke!

yes
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...