Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Writing in the Sky

Default Writing in the Sky

Hi !

I have seen the attached pics on the internet.

i would like to know what are the atmospheric conditions required to acheive this kind of performances, or more globally how would you do it !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CTAla5.jpg  

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by illabhy View Post
    Hi !

I have seen the attached pics on the internet.

i would like to know what are the atmospheric conditions required to acheive this kind of performances, or more globally how would you do it !

That is rare, I've seen conditions for it TWICE since 1988.

BTW, thats about 20 watts of laser power and requires in most of the world, legal permits as it can be a hazard to aircraft.

BTW, about 5 degrees off the beam axis its a blue blob in a cloud.

In other words it only looks good at the laser site.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I understand that it's rare and about the legislation.

What really appeals me is that the screen is actually the clouds...

What kind of clouds is it? how thick is it? What density is required?

I ve red some stuff as well saying that laser could be reflected on aerosol as well... I just wonder how is it possible...

cloud writing takes alot of laser power! and like steve said, as soon as you get off axis, the "crispness" of the images degrades exponentially.

Beam shows will look great, but projection of images, graphics and text is extrmemly dificult if not impossible to control.

the legalities and licensing required is dauting also.

here is a clip of a 40W ktp from Day Star Lasers shooting on a cloud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxRFek-qNs

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You also need a source of fluffy, dense, clouds at 2000-3000 feet, This rare in much of the world.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

fun facts about that photo. It has been circulating since about 1985 or so. I do not know who did the original projection, but the photo was a long exposure (note washed out building lights) with the camera angle directly at the source. It appears to be stationary, but if you go off angle just a few degrees you will see nothing but fuzz in the sky. Paul R. claims it as his own work, but I have NEVER believed ANYTHING that EVER came out of his mouth. He use to sell that to his clients and they were all goo gaaa but in reality...it dosnt work unless you are right at the source.

I projected a whale swimming in the clouds at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium with a 171 argon and it looked great until you stepped 30 feet away from my projector. I have a bunch of "cloud writing" photos but I am too lazy to pull them out scan them in and post them. Just go do it, it works as long as you are looking straight up the beam path.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

We manage to do a simple logo a few years back using a chroma 10, it
    was poor of course just like everyone elses efforts who tried to copy the idea.

illabhy, what country are you in, I have an idea that might work.

I m living in France.
    Last edited by illabhy; 11-07-2009 at 13:36.

Is it possible to do a basic level of projection words into the sky with a laser or would a building be a better idea?

Lightbulb Wow! Quite the dig...

Hi, Welcome to PL.. Please Fasten Your Seatbelt.

Quote Originally Posted by bradleyoung View Post
    Is it possible to do a basic level of projection words into the sky with a laser or would a building be a better idea?
    A building would be a better idea. ..And, if you're thinking of doing-such in the US, the FAA must be notified, with proper-procedures, and all-operating under a valid performance-variance and riding-on a foundation of adequate-training by those with experience. Even-if outside the US, be sure to check with any local airspace-regulatory agency guidelines for shooting lasers into airspace.. .....'but, it will be only-on the building?!' you may say... Well, what if ya miss?

Aside from the 'regulations' / airspace-concerns, there's really nothing 'basic' about doing sky-projection.. You've got to have one hella-powerful laser (..and, the experience / expertise that should go with owning / operating such a system..) and, you've got to have *just* the right level of low-cloud coverage.. You can (really) never 'sell' such a show / fx, since you certainly cannot predict, nor control, said-clouds..

..what most-Co's opt to offer (..and, there's a big * that needs to be attached to this, too, since it is also highly-reliant on the right gear / experience / conditions (lake, etc..) is projecting thru a large 'peacock-tail' waterscreen, which can give a decent-illusion of a 'floating laser-projection', sort-of in the sky. ish. But, it's the best 'bet' for something you can sell / control. And plan on a healthy 5-digit Budget, minimum, too.. not really worth doing it, for less, with all the set-up / tech that needs to be done-right, involved..

..However, 'sky-writing' is *possible*, and, when 'nature decides to 'gift' the just-right conditions', yes, the results can be pretty-awesome..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS40_Guate_7.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	35198..but, also yes, once you get off-center, the 'legibility' goes to oatmeal, rather-quickly.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LS40_Guate_4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	35199

Don't mean to pee-pee in your pool-party, but.. dems' da beans.

Welcom again, and cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...