Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: need help (netherlands) spectra-physics 168-35 whitelight

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by laserwinkel View Post
    thats the problem the power cable is cut so i need this to be fixed
    http://www.laserwinkel.nl/fotos/DSC02963.JPG

Have you ever worked with three phase power, and my new question before I help anyone on this forumn, how old are you? Have you worked with lasers before? Yes, it matters. We recently have had one forumn member who's actions have set back my level of trust for beginners , lightyears.

I have the manuals for that system as PDF, but I won't just help anybody any more without some idea if they will do this safely.

That traffo needs wired by someone very competent with three phase power. Ie sizing the wires to the current, checking the wiring, sizing the plugs etc.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Yes, that is the traffo. That is a biophsyic medical traffo for ion lasers. It must be wired very carefully as it is a autotransformer.

Speaking of safety, this is not regarded as a beginners laser.

You must be very careful with this.

Steve
    Judging by his gear list posted in the Lighttown LEM thread, he's not really a beginner.

The only issue this thing has is that some non-technical jerk took it out with a pair of bolt cutters when the club was closed down. All that's needed is a replacement plug for the laser head, and a new cable leading up to the PSU from the three-phase transformer.

I can say with quite a bit of certainty that, given the (basic electrical) tools, we can get this thing running in Eindhoven. Wiring up a new plug and hitting the Start button shouldn't be so difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    That traffo needs wired by someone very competent with three phase power. Ie sizing the wires to the current, checking the wiring, sizing the plugs etc.

Steve
    I guess (or more, hope) the transformer still has the right plug on the three-phase input (63A or 32A CEEform) with fuses still intact, if that's the case, you need to get the right cable for the 208V end.

What's the per-phase input current rating for the PSU? Given 32A input, I guess the thing runs at about 60A per phase? I might have a few cable spares (6qmm) lying around from a 63A CEE lead that will be just the right thing.

Still need to know the model number and pinout for the head plug, though. Eyeballing it, seems to be either an Amphenol or an ITT MIL-standard socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    I guess (or more, hope) the transformer still has the right plug on the three-phase input (63A or 32A CEEform) with fuses still intact, if that's the case, you need to get the right cable for the 208V end.

What's the per-phase input current rating for the PSU? Given 32A input, I guess the thing runs at about 60A per phase? I might have a few cable spares (6qmm) lying around from a 63A CEE lead that will be just the right thing.

Still need to know the model number and pinout for the head plug, though. Eyeballing it, seems to be either an Amphenol or an ITT MIL-standard socket.

It does not appear anyone cut off the laserhead to PS connector...It appears that soome one cut the AC power cable too short.

A good set of pics would end a lot of the speculation and discussion IMHO
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

no i am not a beginner
    only beginner on gas lasers
    have lots of diode lasers for over 2 years now.

anyways thats why i signed up on this forums to get in contact with someone that has much experience with these gas lasers. i never worked with 3 phase power tough so i am trying to find someone that can help me with this. i am not doing it myself.

yes this is the laser from "marktplaats"

the PSU is a spectra-physics 265

text in the trafo is:
    Klockner-Moeller GK-W 441 IP 55
    picture of cables in the trafo
    http://www.laserwinkel.nl/fotos/DSC02970.JPG

laserhead still has the cable
    but seems like they put the trafo on that cable since some parts of the cable are kind of flat

more pictures needed please ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    It does not appear anyone cut off the laserhead to PS connector...It appears that soome one cut the AC power cable too short.
    IMHO
    I've had a look at those pics, and the power wires seem to be screwed into a set of terminal blocks. 3P+N+E in, 3P+N+E out. Neutral and Earth seem to be on a common terminal, so this is, as someone already stated, an autotransformer.

If I can get a pic on how the power wires are ran inside the 265, I can get a better idea on what might be needed to get this thing fired again. If the 265 has a set of terminal blocks also, I can get this thing working with an hour's work and a screwdriver.

I've worked with 3ph power for years in professional A/V rigs, so I know what I'm doing.

BTW, does the 168 head have a PCAOM and a scanhead on it as well, or was it coupled to a fiber in the club with remote scanners?

EDIT: I *do* hope you don't intend to run this thing on tap water for the cooling... the minerals in tap water can wreak havoc on the head's and PSU's internals. Might be OK for one or two test runs, but use de-mineralised water in a closed circuit for longer runs!

I always ran my lasers on tap water. For a closed loop chiller system, you will need to dissipate 13KW for a small frame.
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

here is the picture of the inside of the 265
    http://www.laserwinkel.nl/fotos/DSC02971.JPG
    4 cables: black, green, yellow and red

i tested it on tap water.
    if it needs demineralised water how much? i can get empty 1000L tanks

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

EDIT: I *do* hope you don't intend to run this thing on tap water for the cooling... the minerals in tap water can wreak havoc on the head's and PSU's internals. Might be OK for one or two test runs, but use de-mineralised water in a closed circuit for longer runs![/QUOTE]

Hi, I've been working on these for 20+ years. Don't worry about DI water unless your local water is horrible. Horrible means your area is known for having pinholes appear in copper pipe or valves crust up, or iron stains on your shower walls.

Get it working first.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    Judging by his gear list posted in the Lighttown LEM thread, he's not really a beginner.
    LOL :

500mW RGV laser, 600mW RGV laser, laserworld cs-150G so we can have a good laugh, chinese RG 240mW, chinese G 500mW, dmx controller.