Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Variance Thread

ok...

thanks for the clarifications. i guess the 1% that i was wrong was correct.

no front emission idicator is needed.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Two documents

One, the projector gets a manufacturers report that covers ALL the hardware. It covers all the components, unless amended for changes/mods.

Since your a pilot, the manufacturer's report is near equvalent to a very simple type certificate, owners manual, maint manual, and manufacturing/annual flight test procedure all in one. Yes, your supposed to a do a annual on your projector, only it doesn't cost nearly as much as it does on a bird. You also do a Quality Control check before each show, based a on a checklist in the manufacturers report, and you make a owners manual as well. Once approved, you get a accession number for the gear, and then each identical piece of gear gets its own serial number that YOU assign. You will now have a certified piece or pieces of gear.

Then the variance, covers its use in the field and the effects to be performed. Remember a variance is a permit to deviate from the class IIIA standard in public. variances refer to using specific approved hardware that has a accession number from the approval of the manufacturers report/

The vary itself if very much like a private pilots certificate, and the annual report is the flight log.

The approval letter for the variance will read something like;

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/DOCKETS/doc...a0003-vol1.pdf

Steve

Steve

That's really helped me understand the structure of things beter. So then I don't need variances for each laser source, all I need to do is list them in the variance application for the projector as a whole, correct?

That's really helped me understand what you're saying. So then I don't need variances for each laser source, all I need to do is list them in the variance application, correct?
    Correct.

the projector as a *whole* is what needs to be certified. it doesnt matter if its LaserWave, CNI, Coherent, or Home made lasers in there. the components which make up your projector all need to come together to make one big safe laser.

a raw laser module *itself* needs to be certified and adhere to regulations the minute that it, *itself* is operated in public without being encased in some sort of enclosure or projector. A 1W green sitting on an optical bench at MIT needs to ber certified. a 1W green inside of your projector *does not* have to be certified by itself. the projector that incorporates that 1W green laser needs to be certified.

your laser light show report and variance will list what wavelengths, lasing mediums and powers your projector includes.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Cool Where to start:

I addressed this in another thread, but it bears repeating here:

If you're stuck and don't know where to start when researching a variance, start by taking a hard look at the "Guide to filing a Laser Product Report". You'll need one of these for each "model" of projector you have. (Thus, if you have 2 green-only projectors that are basically identical, you can file a single product report for both.)

Here's a link to the guide. (Marc's .zip file above also has a copy in it.) Print it out and start reading on page 9. See if you can provide answers to the questions. Because you'll need to answer them all before you submit the product report.

Adam